'72 F100 Neutral Safety Switch

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Commodore Woods

'72 F100 Neutral Safety Switch

Post by Commodore Woods »

I have a '72 F100 Ranger XLT with the 390 cid and a C6 Auto Tranny. My question is, The Reverse lights don't work all of the time in fact in the year or so I've owned the truck I've only seen them come on once, I've checked all the usual suspects (e.g. Fuses, wiring, bulbs), I know that the Neutral safety switch that's mounted on the steering colum controls the back-up lights, is there any adjustment on this switch? If so how do I adjust it? Thanks for any help
Woods
lobuck76

re: '72 F100 Neutral Safety Switch

Post by lobuck76 »

There is some adjustment. Loosen the little bolts (5/16" socket I think)
It will have adjustment side to side. If the truck starts in park and nuetral it is probabley not out of adjustment.
I priced one for my '71 at o'reilly 42$ and autozone 28$ They can order them. Ron
'71 F-100
Commodore Woods

Post by Commodore Woods »

Thanks I'll take a look at it
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

It should have a hole through it. If you line this hole up with the corresponding hole in the switches slider block and insert a properly sized drill bit or other round wire it will hold the switch in neutral (IIRC) then you place the shifter in the corresponding gear. Then install the switch and tighten the screws holding it to the columb tube while holding the switch against the tab that is attached to the shift tube inside the columb.

(That make any sense.?)

You might also try making sure the contacts are clean iside the switch. There are two sets of traces and contacts.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

If they can be cleaned then I need to take mine off and check it. It won't start in neutral. I haven't noticed if the back up lights work or not. :hmm:
'71 F-100
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

It might also be noted that excessive wear in the shift linkage may make it nearly impossible to adjust the switch to work proerly in all positions.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.