Radio problem

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

CA180

Radio problem

Post by CA180 »

Hey guys... Quick question.

There seems to be a problem with my radio. At times it comes on fine (display, sound and all), but other times it does nothing, and then other times i just get static and no display.

It is an aftermarket radio, audiovox if i recall correctly (truck isnt in front of me). And is a knob style unit.

Now i'm no idiot with electronics, i've done my fair share of audio work, accessory add ons, wire harness repairs, bla bla bla... all the like.

Anyhow, point is... I heard from someone that these old fords had ground problems, and that this could be the issue with the radio. I havent dove into this yet, but i just wanted to see if anyone had any previous experience and maybe something in particular that i should be looking for.

Thanks in advance, you guys are always a great help. :fr:
cathynkeith
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Radio problem

Post by cathynkeith »

ensure battery is grounded to the body and body to the frame. My old pioneer did that, if I thumped the knob it woud come back on. that was a radio problem. my cousins 57 cheby does the same thing with an old sanyo, just thimp the knob is easier that replacing.
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n292 ... type=local
Life is good...... when nothing is wrong that money can't fix.
1969 f100 flareside
1962 ECONOLINE TRUCK (done)
1975 Nova (almost done)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

after you ground it spray some electronics spray around the inside of the knobs. that sounds like they are dirty.