Discount Tire

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Discount Tire

Post by jor »

I've bought a lot of tires from Discount Tire over the years and have always had a good experience. Even had a particularly good experience one time which prompted me to write a laudatory letter. Anyhow, I'm thinking times are changin' at ole Discount Tire.

1. The Old We'll Fix Flats for Free Deal: My daughter took in a tire with a nail. Unrepairable=new tire. I took in a truck tire with a nail. Unrepairable=new tire. I took in a tire with a nail yesterday. Unrepairable=new tire. That's three. Now, while waiting for my tire, I listened in to two "I have a flat" conversations in the store. Yip. Both were unrepairable, had to buy a new tire. I also listened in to two phone conversations in which the Discount Tire guy advised the customer that the tire he had left was unrepairable and must be replaced. Now, I'm not a mathematician but I'm thinking 7 out of 7 beats the law of averages. Like my wife said, "Well, they're in the business of selling tires so I guess that's what they do."

2. How Much is Free, Anyhow? The tire I bought yesterday was for my wife's car. It had a slow leak (5# in 24 hours) and I didn't see any nail on a cursory look. On her tires we have "Free Replacement" at $16.50 per tire. We have "Lifetime Balance and Valve" at $13 per tire. Considering this, I figured the tire would be free. Well... not really. It turns out that the "free" replacement only covers that tire and like the guy told me, "That tire's gone so if you want free replacement, you have to buy another." Same with the balancing. Of course, there's also a $2 environmental fee. Anyhow, in this case, "free" costs you $32.84.

Over the years, I have been confrontational and difficult in these situations but I am trying to mend my ways and become mellow and accepting so I chose to bend over, spread wide and give the guy my $32. I'm giving up on Discount though and moving on.
jor
The Good Humor Man

re: Discount Tire

Post by The Good Humor Man »

I use to go to them for all my tires, but the last 2 times they were beat by more than $50 by other tire dealers.

They are no the ones to go to for a fat repair, they can only fix it if it is in the middle of the tire, before the tire curves. I think that leaves then 1 to 2 inch area to fix a tire.

I now have resorted to fixing my own tires again, they are getting to fussy as to what they can fix. The Firestone tire fiasco where Explorers were flipping has make all tire companies to paranoid of lawsuits.
http://WWW.GoodHumorTrucks.Com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I have to agree with you Jor. The last 2 times I went to get a tire fixed, same thing. The first one was wierd, they told me because it was run flat that it could not be fixed according to some new law. The tire had a scuff mark on the sidewall and that was their reasoning.
briscoco

Post by briscoco »

They can't seem to balance tires correctly either. I bought a set of Goodyear silent armor Wranglers and after my third trip in gave up and went to Big O were it was done right their first time. Discount claimed it was my suspension causing my front to jitter. It would due it at about 30 and again at 60 I don't know about 90 never get that fast. At Big O they checked the balance it at three different speeds and gave it a happy medium. It seemed the tire would start to resonate at those speeds. It took me several weeks and many phone calls but discount did finally give me back the charge for the balance job they couldn't do.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I have buddies that have worked at my local Discounts so I get hooked up for the most part. My only complaint is if you bring in a flat that is (loose) not on the vehicle they take forever to get to it and you sit there all afternoon till you cause a scene.

On the Road hazard replacment I happen to love it I pay 35 bucks for the new certificate on the tire instead of 200+ dollars for the 35in muds, so I have 4 new tires basically for under 200 dollars.

I have noticed that they are a little to critical on whats repairable or not, I'd just hit the next tire store on that road unless it was certificated with them.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

That's the game, SELLING TIRES. I try to find a locally owned place, they WANT your repeat business. You might pay alittle more at first, just because they don't have the volume the large chain tire stores do, but you'll save money in the long run.
Galaxie64

Post by Galaxie64 »

460 crew wrote:I have buddies that have worked at my local Discounts so I get hooked up for the most part. My only complaint is if you bring in a flat that is (loose) not on the vehicle they take forever to get to it and you sit there all afternoon till you cause a scene.
A few years back Ford recalled some General tires, they were only sold on 2wd Expy and Navi's, which are rare to non existent in this area. The Ford dealer actually refused to replace mine since I didn't have a 2wd Expy or Navi, I actually got the tires months before the recall off of ebay as take offs out of GA. So they send me to a discount in CO. They also started to give me the run around about replacing them. I called General several times and they were fantastic about getting stuff set in motion but Discount fought me all the way. I ended up needing to yell rhetorically "So You will not replace my Dangerous RECALLED Tires?" Right in the middle of the office with a dozen or more customers around. After that they changed their minds a bit and finally got my new set of tires that General sent to them to put on my truck. I will never do business with them after that.

Luckily we have a very good local shop that is family owned that we do thousands of dollars worth of business with a year and they treat us very well.

I have yet to see a tire that is not punctured in the sidewall not be fixable, sounds very shady indeed.
'68 F150 2wd
'72 F250 2wd Camper Special (400/C6/4bbl)
'64 Galaxie 500 (3524bbl/57K miles)
'92 Grand Marquis (mostly stock 4.6L)
'97 F150 (heavily modded 5.4L)
'48 F1 (Flat 6)
'51 F3 (Flat V8 )
'56 F350 (engineless)

** Chuck Norris has counted to infinity -- twice. **
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Yeah, I got tired of hearing a nail was unrepairable for my wife's import suv with low sidewall tires. Took it to a local salvage/auto repair place that my company does business with and they plugged both of them for 17.00.
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
cathynkeith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cathynkeith »

I stay away from the chain stores, I like the local guy. Longview wheel and performance puts road hazard on every tire they sale. He beats the chain price plus gives you the road hazard. I may have to wait a few days to get the top of the line brands (michelin hydro edge) but the service is well worth it. He also keep me 2 Dunlops in stock that seem to burn up in 500 miles..... :evil:

If we lost all of our small business to the big guy, we will be in a world of hurt.
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n292 ... type=local
Life is good...... when nothing is wrong that money can't fix.
1969 f100 flareside
1962 ECONOLINE TRUCK (done)
1975 Nova (almost done)
cghstrojan08
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by cghstrojan08 »

I don't care for them anymore. They wanted over $100 to mount my 33's for my f250. Local place only wanted $63
ROBERT
Member #1076

1968 F100 SWB 360
1969 F100 LWB 360 "Ol' Blue" - Sold
1976 F350 Trailer Special, Extended Wheel base, 460
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/cg ... ld%20Blue/
ImageImage
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

for us NW guys were lucky to have Les Schwabs. They will fix any tire, and brand, and problem. The only place i will go for tires anymore. and they are very reasonable. and juring july...you get FREE BEEF with any tire purchase. and the ones around my home town will go out of their way to help you. The Les Scwhab moto is " you pull in, we come running. " they meet you before you even have to walk into the store. plus they are great about hiring local highschool and college students.
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
67heavystepside

Re: re: Discount Tire

Post by 67heavystepside »

69rangerman wrote:Yeah, I got tired of hearing a nail was unrepairable for my wife's import suv with low sidewall tires. Took it to a local salvage/auto repair place that my company does business with and they plugged both of them for 17.00.
just be carefull with plugged tires

i work in the tire line and have multiple certificates with michelin, alot of tire manufactures will VOID there milage and defect warrenty just because of a plug in the tire.
to insert a plug , usually you have to ream the hole to clean and open it up a little so the plug will fit, you take a risk of damaging the belts even more, which can lead to a tire falier.

just my :2cents:
The_Eman

Post by The_Eman »

Jor - I've had good luck at Jack Furrier's Western Tire. They have very good prices but I'll generally call around to other tire stores for the best price and then Jack's always matches that price.

Also, I NEVER buy the warranty because they'll fix the flat for free which they've done many times for me. The warranties are profit centers for all companies and it is most often a big hassle to redeem them.

Although many years ago I lent a buddy my car. He cut in front of someone for a parking spot and that guy put a slow leak in the side of every tire. I had a warranty with SEARS and they replaced every tire without charge.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I have a buddy who does the string patch. if it is too close to or in the firewall he says no go.

i then go to the used tire guy and grab a new used tire for 15 bucks.

then he mounts and airs and balances.

he does this free until he needs new wieghts or new string patches. wich i pay half for the patches(since i use half with all the nails i get) and i pay price for the weight(s) used.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com