Trouble Removing the Distributor

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

jdconnel

Trouble Removing the Distributor

Post by jdconnel »

Let me just start with... I HATE electrical crap!

So, I was planning a nice evening setting my timing.... however, I have come to the reality that I've never done such a thing.

I have all my info on what the setting should be. I am going to clean the balance wheel and look for my marks, all good.... but I know I'm supposed to unbolt the distributor and loosen it so that I can rotate (adjust it).

I hooked up my timing gun to make sure it even worked... check.
I took the cap off the distributor and looked inside.... looks happy.... played a little with a screw driver to see what was hooked to what... and then tried to loosed the big large nut in the top. Nothing. actually with all the electrical n there, it was hard to even get at.

So, I gave up,. put everything back together and tried to start the truck. Won't start.
I hate wires.

I assume in during my screw driver time I messed up that precious 0.017" gap? Where the heck is that gap even supposed to be from to?

Arg.
-=Life's Too Short to Drink Cheap Beer=-
1973 F-100 Custom Sport (Previously had 1967 & 1970 F-250)
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Yes. I'm a tool.
Found the proper little nut outside the distributor holding the metal retainer in place.
Ok, time to set the gap.... also found the numbers on the wheel followed by the little pointer arrow.
I take it where its set it where the arrorow points to.

Let see if I can get this running.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Trouble Removing the Distributor

Post by 68F250 »

jdconnel wrote:and then tried to loosed the big large nut in the top. Nothing. actually with all the electrical n there, it was hard to even get at.
What big large nut are you referring to? Inside the distributor?
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

yeah, the big not that's actualy part of the distributor ratating mechanism..... wrong one, I know.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Trouble Removing the Distributor

Post by 68F250 »

You didn't put a wrench on it and start pulling did you?
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

That's the wrong one.
brownac1983

Post by brownac1983 »

It didn't turn, did it? If it turned, you probably sheared the pin in your drive gear. :doh:
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

no.. I lightly runed it, anod nothing, so I stopped to ask.
I removed the proper nut and removed the entire distributo and shaft to take a look.. looks happy.

I asjusted again, and got it to run... poorly.
I readjusted the gap several more times and nothing.
I must be adjusting the wrong "gap". At least the distributor turns freely now for adjustment.
kknip
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by kknip »

You can bump the engine over until one of the high peaks of what you thought was a big nut in the distributer holds the points open,if your feeler gauge just slides in,gap is ok.You might have gotten the distributer in a tooth off one way or the other.Turn the distributer one way or the other until the engine sounds like it is running better.You might bump into something with the vaccume advance by the time the engine starts to smooth out.Cut the engine off and take the cap off.Mark on the edge of the distributer where the rotor button is facing,pull the distributer out,rotate until the vaccume advance is facing toward the radiator,install so rotor button is facing the mark you made on the distributer,the rotor button will turn a little when you sit it down on the gear so turn the rotor button a little to align it up with your mark when it sits down.Install cap and clamp,keeping it just loose to turn the distributer of course,start the engine and turn the distributer the way you were turning it and you should be able to set your timing.

Hope this helps ,kknip
Soitenly! Oh,a wiseguy!
You knucklehead!
65 Mustang
72 F250 Camper Special
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Ok, since i have removed the shaft and gear setup to inspect, I don't tknow if I replaced it in the same orientation. What's a good "starting point"Since i may be off more than 1 tooth.

I was able to get it running for a bit, but it dies out, when I tried to adjust It gave me one helluva loud bang!

I am presently lokoing for the firing order and crank the engine till I hit TDC for #1.
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Ok. Here is what I have done.
1. Started fresh. Numbered all the wires on the distributor cap to make sure they are happy.
2. Cranked engine so plug #1 is at TDC (or as close as I can figure by cranking and a feeler)
3. Installed distributor so teeth mesh, and little connector on top is in the #1 plug wire position
4. Replaced plug and tried to crank engine.

I get a little puff…. And now I see smoke. Did I fry my points? They still give a little spark. The smoke wasn’t there before the bang. I don't know where its coming from. Appears to be the middle of the compartment....

This sucks.
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Thanks guys for all the quick responses... it kept me at it!
My problem was that I was 180 deg out of sync. I was too busy trying to find TDC, that I never counted revolutions on the balance wheel..... I did 3 not 2.

Now at 12BTDC and 0.017" on point gap, with 0.035" on my plugs..... its puuuuurrrrring quite nice.

however, I still need the choke all the way out.... something for another post.
ratfink
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ratfink »

To jdconnel, I have read quite afew of you posts and have this to say. I really respect someone who is "popping" his cherry, and stays after it, even when frustrated. We all get frustrated, you just have to suck it up and drive on.
Good on 'ya.
Ratfink
Dennis
1968 F100 Ranger 390/ C6 (Mine again)
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Sandstorm
2007 3500 4X4 Dodge Cummins
Idleness is the mother of all vices.
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Thanks ratfink.
Just trying to make up for all those times I skipped out and went for a beer during HS auto. Probably thought to myself… “Distributor? … No one uses those anymore; I’m going for a smokeâ€Â
CA180

Post by CA180 »

Dude, let me tell you something... We have all had to do the same thing! Its great that you are able to piece things together! If you have the general idea of how it works, you should be able to figure it out. Sometimes you have to take a step back, deep breath, and keep on truckin'. In the panic and confusion of thinking you broke something, sometimes you can over look the simple things. Keep at it... You'll become what all classic car/truck owners have to be.... Self reliant!