Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

'67 style brake light switch questions

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey Guys...

Yesterday, I got the brake light switch installed one my Olde Skool bus. The brake lights work now, but sometimes the don't turn off.
I am not exactly sure how this kind of switch even works.
It’s not at all like the one on my ’68 F-250, which has a plunger that opens and closes the circuit when the pedal is depressed and released.

Nothing seems to move (on the switch) when I push in the pedal or when I release it. I can't tell what it is supposed to do.. it just kinda hangs there and really doesn't seem to do anything.
Anyone got any ideas ???

Thanks,
KaptnKAOS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
adrianspeeder
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: '67 style brake light switch questions

Post by adrianspeeder »

Hmmm, I donno. Does it tilt with the brake pedal?

Adrianspeeder
'08 F-250 Spartan Tuned 6.4L PSD ZF-6 4x2 XL, Reg Cab,
'02 F-250 Vin Diesel 7.3L PSD 4R100 4x4 XLT, Crew Cab,
'97 F-150 Dad’s last truck 4.6L M5OD 4x4 XLT, EX Cab,
'79 F-150 Homebrew Dually 351M C6 4x2 Lariat, Reg Cab,
'71 F-100 Bump 302 4x2 3/tree Stepside Custom, Reg Cab,
'66 F-250 Slick 352FE 4x2 3/tree Custom Cab, Reg Cab,
Broncos: '94 Grandpa’s mint daily driver XLT 302 E4OD,
'92 Momma’s daily driver XLT 302 M5OD, '88 OJ XLT 351 C6, '84 Mint! Lariat 351HO C6,

USAF TSgt C-17 Aircraft Maintenance Flying Crew Chief & Flightline Avionics Craftsman
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Pivots off the rod off the master cylinder. Ford had SEVERAL switches like that in the mid/late 60's, all with minor differences. You sure you have the right one?

i'm just sayin.....
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

fitzwell's right. There were several and you almost have to lay them side by side to tell the difference.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
Calvin Gunter
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Calvin Gunter »

You may have it installed wrong.On my 67 the switch runs horizonal with the master cylinder push rod and the wires plug in from the side.Make sure you have one for a 67 because nothing else will work.It's another one year only deal for a 67.I've bought several that look like they will work if I put the plug in on the other side but would not work.I wish I had pictures but I don't have a digital camera.Good luck,Calvin
1967 Ranger,Short bed,390,C-6,9 inch,4 BBL.,intake,cam,headers,3:55 Posi.,A/C,Power steering,Power Disc Brakes,Automatic trans.DJM dropped I-beams,flipped rear hangers,headlight harness upgrade.ExTang tonneau cover "Old Blue".
http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s328/BigSxy96/
1967 Base model,352,2bbl.,3 on the tree,short bed,3:25 9 inch "Rusty".
1967 Mustang coupe-show car/garage queen.Small Block,alum. heads,Nitrous,4:11Locker,Areospace brakes "Mystang".
1996 F-250 Powerstroke-Big intake,exhaust,injectors.(Nice Smoke Show) "Big Sexy"
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

It is an unusual switch, looking at Keith's pic (below) it looks like there must be some play in the MC rod (rubber mushing maybe?) and when forward pressure is applied to the rod it pulls the switch against the end of the rod to complete the circuit in the switch.

kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey TOF...

Thanks for getting back to me on this
I think I may have just figured it out with that pic.
I am working on a '68 Ford B-500 bus. I am told that Ford actually used the same switch from '65-'78 on those. My switch is a little differant, it doesn't have the plastic block like that. The block is alot smaller. It is the same size as the rectangular housing with two male spade clips sticking out of the end. I assume works the same. I installed it the same as it was when I pulled the old one out. It was just hanging loose at 90 degrees to the master cylinder plunger. But then, I have to remember all of the other wacky things I have had to figure out due to the PO's... ummm ... let's say enginuity.
Mine doesn't have a bolt, like the picture. It has a shaft and cotter pin set up instead. Must just be a slightly different set up on larger rigs. It does make the brake lights on, but I'm not sure how it does that, it doesn't look like it ever makes contact with the switch plunger. If it hooks up like the picture of the '67 switch then it makes a little more sense... in the mean time, I've just disconnected the battery until I could trouble shoot it with ya all.

Thanks again,
KaptnKAOS
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

Calvin Gunter
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Calvin Gunter »

Hey Kapton,
The plastic block is actually the the plug in in that picture.If you pull that block off you would see the two spades for the wires to plug into.But the switch does have to be parallel to the push rod.Good Luck,Calvin
1967 Ranger,Short bed,390,C-6,9 inch,4 BBL.,intake,cam,headers,3:55 Posi.,A/C,Power steering,Power Disc Brakes,Automatic trans.DJM dropped I-beams,flipped rear hangers,headlight harness upgrade.ExTang tonneau cover "Old Blue".
http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s328/BigSxy96/
1967 Base model,352,2bbl.,3 on the tree,short bed,3:25 9 inch "Rusty".
1967 Mustang coupe-show car/garage queen.Small Block,alum. heads,Nitrous,4:11Locker,Areospace brakes "Mystang".
1996 F-250 Powerstroke-Big intake,exhaust,injectors.(Nice Smoke Show) "Big Sexy"
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I guess that depends on who manufactured it? You can see that mine has permanent spade connectors, no plug involved. Of course, judging by the wire connectors, it looks like it's been replaced before:

kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey all,

Tomorrow, I am going to remount the switch so it is parallel with the plunger and see how that works... mine has no clip, just the two male spade connectors. which is why it looks different than in the pic.

I am also going to install the new headlight harness I got from Paul (390 nut)

That might be all I get done on Olde Skool tomorrow...
I got alot of domestic stuff to do... the price a guy pays for bein' single

Take care and thanks for yer help...

KaptnKAOS