Is this a ground problem?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Is this a ground problem?

Post by rjewkes »

on the driver side front the turn sig is bright as hell even in daylight(12:00 noon daylight). but the running light on that side is dim as hell even at 12:00 midnight. The reverse is true for the passenger side front.

whats the deal? i might add that both are replacement sockets.And brand new bulbs in fact went through five packages to prove the same result.

pretty sure they ground throught the body.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Is this a ground problem?

Post by heep70 »

Is hell dim or brite :? :P

Did you try changing the bulb. Check connections for corrosion also.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

i know hell is probably bright or atleast hot enough to be bright but i bet its dark to mice with the souls that find themselves stuck there.

any ways yes i have changed the bulbs and they are new sockets.

no corrosion i can see i may just have to swap in a different set of contacts.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

sounds like you might have some wires reversed in a connection.

check the wiring into the sockets, the dimmer of the 2 wires should go to the park lights, the brighter to the signals. You will have to test the sockets to get the correct connection
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

I agree with Fizwell, sounds like the passenger side socket has the wires reversed if at night the running light is brighter then the turn light... Both wires will measure 12V supplied to them (turned on) but it is the element in the bulb that determines how bright it is... If you look at the bulb it has 2 elements in it, one above the other. One is for the turn signal and the other is for the running light.
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399