best heater for shop?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

wordforge

re: best heater for shop?

Post by wordforge »

I'd go with a wood stove. It's what I have to use in my 150 year old 30' X 40' workshop with two foot thick adobe walls and crappy old windows. The stove gets the shop warm in about ten to twenty minutes depending on the wind outside.
If you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you.
- George Bernard Shaw
rgoot01

Post by rgoot01 »

I have an old Timberline wood stove in my garage at the house and for the garage it works great. The idea of an oil burning heater is a good idea too. These are what are in the shop at work. Granted most people don't usually have enough used oils laying around in there garage to keep it going all the time, however if you go to a local shop you can typically get all the used oil you want because they have to pay to have it hauled off, so long as they don't use that type of heater.
T2-T8 ASE Cert.
State Cert. Welder
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

I was always told to keep any flame-type heaters or furnaces up high in a garage. The reason being gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will settle down around where a house heater has it's flame - or a torpedo heater etc.
67 Austin Healey 3000- resto - subframe rebuilt so far
68 F-100 LB w FE410-in progress frame-off resto
02 Sebring Convertible- for top-down relaxation