back up lights not working

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

back up lights not working

Post by dotcentral »

I am due an inspection this month and just noticed my back up lights aren't working. 3 speed manual, column shifter.

How do I trouble shoot this? Could be at the column, but I wonder if its something at the taillight. Any suggestions on where, how to start?
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
F10Y

re: back up lights not working

Post by F10Y »

Easy thing to start with is to simply check your bulbs. It's likely that they might just be burnt out. I think mine are. Mine haven't worked since I've bought the truck. Thankfully, I don't do much backing and we don't have vehicle inspections. :shh:
Michael
F-100 2WD
V8-360
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

I found out back ups don't get checked, so I'm going to leave it alone for the time being. Thanks.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
Prime69

Post by Prime69 »

I had the same problem found out that the switch located on a bracket off of the steering column under the hood was froze up, pulled it out cleaned it and lubed it, now its all good!! You can get the backup light switch from any local parts store, I called the local NAPA store and they had it in stock, but just working with the old one I got it to work. Hey saved that 6 bucks!! I found out that back up lights are not just for backing up, it can give you a little light when working in back of the truck at night.
Prime69
1969 F100 Stepside
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Thanks for the tip, I might give that a try. Pretty sure I'm going to switch over to a C4 soon, but wouldn't hurt to give it a try.