Starter Question

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
swschulke

Starter Question

Post by swschulke »

I am having trouble getting my starter to kick over. it seems i am geting power to the sylinoid but for some reason i am only getting juice to half the terminals on it and there is no juice running down to the starter.
Basicly turn the key no juice it is like the battery is dead but is has a charge.

Are ford Starters Self Grounding? Do i need to have a ground lead to a bolt some where?

Frustration builds.....

Thanks
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Starter Question

Post by 68F250 »

Yes, the solenoid gets it's ground from the mounting bolts.

Pull off the wire on the "S" terminal and take a jumper from the battery side to the "S" terminal, see if she turns over. It's been awhile but last time I did this I was able to use a screwdriver and crowbar the two together.
swschulke

Re: re: Starter Question

Post by swschulke »

68F250 wrote:Yes, the solenoid gets it's ground from the mounting bolts.

Pull off the wire on the "S" terminal and take a jumper from the battery side to the "S" terminal, see if she turns over. It's been awhile but last time I did this I was able to use a screwdriver and crowbar the two together.
Thats kinda what i thought i have some wierd starter from a toyata or something that has been converted to fit with an aluminum adaptor i think that is causing my problem but i don't really know. i was told this would help save my flywheel because it was suposed to create less stress on it. i guess ill have to buy a new Starter that is suposed to be in there eh... oh well... I hope it will work as i have a very old starter that is the original but it seems to have a broken post where the Red wire from the Solenoid comes down and connects to the starter. I can even get that one to work.
(I hold the hot wire there,No go... No Juice No Gound? i just do not get it!
Last edited by swschulke on Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
swschulke

Post by swschulke »

68F250 wrote:Yes, the solenoid gets it's ground from the mounting bolts.

A question to anyone, (I assume the wireing is stock) in connections to the sylinoid i have a caped brown wire and a capped Red/blue wire what one goes where please? I have posts labled I & S
Black 1971 F250 Sport Custom 390 Engine.
I have no idea what i am doing please help me!
Seriously,I just bought this for 500 Bucks and some tools from Kmart. I Have very Little Auto Experience. Any Advice is needed. I have to make it run...
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

My 70 has a brown wire to the "I" terminal and red wire to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
swschulke

Post by swschulke »

hardtailjohn wrote:My 70 has a brown wire to the "I" terminal and red wire to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.
John H.
Ahh thats what i got too brown to the I and the red/blue to the s.
I tried bridgeing the 2 and all i get is a lite spark off the s post and still i have not heard the starter try to crank over.. i even wire brushed all the places i thought might help ground it but no luck. why dont i get power i wonder? Maybe my Battery is the issue but i just had it charged up.I have power and get a clicking sound when i turn the key on and off i just dont get no Starter function... What am i missing i wonder...
Seriously,I just bought this for 500 Bucks and some tools from Kmart. I Have very Little Auto Experience. Any Advice is needed. I have to make it run...
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Put a volt meter on the starter side of the solenoid and see if you get full voltage through there... that will at least tell you what direction to go. If there isn't full voltage, then check ahead of the solenoid. If there is full voltage going through, then check at the starter. If you have full voltage to the starter, then you have your problem.
As far as a ground, you can use an ohm meter and check from the starter case to the engine block.. no ohms means good ground. If the starter's loose or has been loose, that's a good place to start checking.
Electrical can be overwhelming, but it's not that bad if you just start at one end (or somewhere easily accessible) and work from there.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

swschulke wrote:thats what i got too brown to the I and the red/blue to the s. I tried bridgeing the 2 and all i get is a lite spark off the s post
No, don't bridge the two little posts! Jumper the battery side of the solenoid (where the battery connects) to the little "S" terminal. Pull off the wire on the "S" terminal and let it hang. Use a short piece of wire or a screwdriver to jumper the "S" terminal on the solenoid to the battery terminal of the solenoid. Make sure you're out of the way of the engine. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
swschulke

Post by swschulke »

68F250 wrote:No, don't bridge the two little posts! Jumper the battery side of the solenoid (where the battery connects) to the little "S" terminal. Pull off the wire on the "S" terminal and let it hang. Use a short piece of wire or a screwdriver to jumper the "S" terminal on the solenoid to the battery terminal of the solenoid. Make sure you're out of the way of the engine. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Ahh well that makes a loud clicking sound that sounds like it is in the solenoid. the starter did not try to turn the engine though.... It is more then i have been able to do so that is something new...
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Did you get the new starter yet?

Starter gets its ground from mounting onto the engine. Make sure the starter flange has bare metal where it mates to the engine. Rebuilt starters have the flange painted gray to look pretty but act as an insulator, I always file the paint off.
Barry

swschulke

Post by swschulke »

68F250 wrote:Did you get the new starter yet?

Starter gets its ground from mounting onto the engine. Make sure the starter flange has bare metal where it mates to the engine. Rebuilt starters have the flange painted gray to look pretty but act as an insulator, I always file the paint off.
ahh yes i did a bit of wire brushing to all the spot where the Wierd starter Touches. still no luck, A Shame as it is suposed to help save the flywheel.
No New Ford starter yet Looks like Wendsday a friend is gona to loan me a few buck to help off set the cost of it...i am guessing like 50- 100 dollars with the core(Wonders if i can use the Wierd Toyata one)...
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

While you're waiting, wanna check out that starter? Pull it off the engine (I know, a pain) and set it on the ground. Get some battery jumper cables and hook them up to the battery. Take the other end of the negative cable and clamp it to the starter flange. Then take the other end of the positive cable and touch the positive post on the starter. Be careful, the starter may want to jump, hold it down with your foot. Watch out for sparks too.
Barry

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

If you have one of those starters with a solenoid on it you have to run another wire from the old solenoid to activate it down there. I'll have to think about it but I put a permanent magnet starter on my 72 and it came with the directions. I think that wire went under the big cable that goes to the starter.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
swschulke

Post by swschulke »

willowbilly3 wrote:If you have one of those starters with a solenoid on it you have to run another wire from the old solenoid to activate it down there. I'll have to think about it but I put a permanent magnet starter on my 72 and it came with the directions. I think that wire went under the big cable that goes to the starter.
Well what i ended up doing ws buying a new starter and a new battery. allthough i still was not able to get it to turn. i am starting to think i missed something...
oh well...(Looks up junkyard numbers for reference hehe)
Mohillbilly

Post by Mohillbilly »

Another thing to check is the ground from the body/chassis to the engine. If the engine isn't grounded good, it will cause the exact thing you're seeing. If you tested the starter off the truck and it spun, then a bad ground is a probability.
70 Custom LWB, 302-2V, 3 on tree