Inst. Cluster Voltage Regulator fix

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
muchtomydelight

Inst. Cluster Voltage Regulator fix

Post by muchtomydelight »

as it turns out, the ICVR takes 12 volts and turns it on and off at a 40% duty cycle to provide an average of 5 volts. I found this page that will show you how to make a real voltage regulator. The 270 ohm resistor makes a voltage divider when wired into a 12v source (get your 5 volts from this) and then you will have a consistant 5VDC that will help stabilize your guages.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Inst. Cluster Voltage Regulator fix

Post by FORDification »

Interesting reading...thanks for the link! :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Actually, you don't want a rock-hard 5 volts all the time. The temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges are all temperature sensitive and will vary depending on the ambient temperature in the cab. The IVR is also temperature sensitive but the way Ford wired them together in the circuit, the temperature effects are nulled out, a very clever system design.

I've seen that link before and asked the guy about the temperature compensation (or lack of) and never got a response back. Another thing about that solid state regulator is he is pushing the maximum current rating of the device and I bet it gets pretty hot too. Half your power is wasted in heat from the voltage drop of 12 to 5 volts.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Was there another post covering how to replace the ICVR? Thought I saw it here, but can't find it now.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!