Good way to multitask your 12v ignition lead?

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
morganater

Good way to multitask your 12v ignition lead?

Post by morganater »

I have more than just a couple electronic accessories that will need to splice into the 12v red/green wire coming from the ignition. Gauges, etc. Does anyone know of a good way to splice this out a whole bunch without totally butchering the wire?
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Good way to multitask your 12v ignition lead?

Post by 68F250 »

Why not use one or both of the accessory feeds on the fuseholder? They have power with the key in the acc. or run positions.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

How many amp's (power) will you need? If a lot (over 10 amps or 120 watts) I would install a relay off one of the accessory terminals on the fuse block, then run a heavy power wire (8, 10, or 12 awg or sized depending upon the load) from the battery side of the starter solenoid through the relay to a new fuse block in the interior. All the non OEM equipment then is run off a fuse, only operates when the key is on, and none of the stock wiring is cut. You could have power on all the time if you wanted without the relay. Then you need to be careful to turn things off when leaving your truck so not to run down your battery or install a second battery which is another story.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I wired up a marine type fuse block and bolted it to my inner fender well. I believe I have the hot running from the solenoid. I'll have to take a look. But my intentions were to have auxiliary fused power for "stuff".