What's the best device for getting compressed air super dry?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

What's the best device for getting compressed air super dry?

Post by robroy »

Hi!

I'm planning to apply Rust Bullet with a paint gun this weekend, and I've read that Rust Bullet hates moisture.

I already have an air drier from Sears installed in my air line but plenty of moisture gets past it; I can tell because I see moisture coming out of the tip of my sandblaster sometimes, and it doesn't seem to be oil for the tools (since it evaporates right away).

Does anybody know of a good solution for getting super dry air?

Thanks very much!
-Robroy
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: What's the best device for getting compressed air super

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

It all depends on 'How much and How dry'?

HF sells a refrigerated air dryer... work great, but lots of money.

You can put a couple dryers inline, the farther from the compressor the better, so the air can cool down and drop the moisture out.

Once you have done that, one of the disposable paper in-line style on the input to the gun should finish things off.

I wouldn't worry about a little bit of moisture... the humidity will add some no matter what you do, you are just looking to minimize the air there.

HTH,

Eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Okay, that sounds like good advice.

$400 is a lot of cash for something that I may only use twice per decade (the hard core air dryer).

I think I'll take your advice and attach a second air dryer in line and try to find a third small filter to install before the paint gun.

The guy I spoke to at Rust Bullet this morning said the air needed to be *totally* dry, but it's a little hard to believe this considering they're selling it to shade tree mechanic folks to use on their old vehicles.

Thanks!
-Robroy
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

That's funny...

Right now ambient air in my shop is about 80% humidity... just blowing the paint thru that will pick up water.

one other thought, if you have an extra length of copper tubing, you can put that somewhere in the line, submerge it in icewater, then put a dryer after that, you will also cause more of the humidity to condensate and the dryer will be even more efficient.

His point should have been 'no water droplets in the spray' dry, not 'Totally' dry...

Unless his comment was: 'Totally, dude'. :wink:

r/

eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

About the only way to get air 'totally' dry is to superheat it.
Otherwise, it will always contain a small percentage of moisture.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
price2757

Post by price2757 »

took me a bit to find it, in this thread:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=13431
The 2nd one down has a link to an article Keith did for a magazine on air compressors. It includes a way to plumb them to help get the moisture out of your lines. I haven't done it yet (need the compressor 1st) but I will be setting up mine like this. :2cents:
bumpside

Re: What's the best device for getting compressed air super dry?

Post by bumpside »

This is a poor mans air dryer. It will work fine for limited air use, like painting.

Make a coil of copper tubing the diameter of a container. It should also be about 3/4 the depth of the container. The bigger the better. 20 ro 30 gallon. Connect the air inlet to the upper part of the copper coil. and the outlet to the bottom of the coil. At the outlet of the copper coil install a good air filter/ water seperator. Then connect your air hose to the filter outlet. Fill the container with water and ice. You now have a poor man's air dryer.
When the hot compressed air goes through the coil in the cold water, it condenses the water vapor to liquid water, and the filter seperator removes the liquid water. You may want to leave the drain on the filter open just a little unless it has an auto drain in it.
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by HOWDY69 »

So I am getting ready to set up my new blasting cabinet and I may also try to learn how to shoot paint. My existing compressed air plumbing is just a hose straight off the filter and I get water dripping from my air tools. I have read the posts and Keith’s article about running piping around the garage with drops and whatnot to knock moisture out of the air. I have also talked to a co-worker who ran piping vertically up and down a wall several times to achieve the same thing. I would prefer to make the system out of off the shelf iron pipe fittings and standard pipe lengths and be able to assemble it on the floor and then bolt it to the wall. What are your thoughts on a vertical system versus the one on Keith’s diagram?
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

There's a DeVilbiss air filter/dryer in the Summit catalog on sale for $159.95, has the filter cartridges.
HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by HOWDY69 »

BobbyFord wrote:There's a DeVilbiss air filter/dryer in the Summit catalog on sale for $159.95, has the filter cartridges.
Thanks for the heads-up on the filter on sale at Summit. I guess what I am looking for is piping arrangements folks have used to get some of the water to condense before it gets to the final filter. Keith’s diagram has a lot of tricky angles that would be tough to build from standard iron pipe fittings. That is why I was thinking about running pipe up and down the wall several times with a sump and bleed valve at the bottom of each run. I was just wondering what other folks had done and how it worked.
bumpside wrote:This is a poor mans air dryer. It will work fine for limited air use, like painting.....
I like the coiled copper idea for painting but am not sure I would want to buy ice every time I used the blasting cabinet. Although I suppose cool water from a garden hose would work well enough for blasting.
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

in the powdercoating shop at the slave labour camp...i mean my place of employment ,we use 2 water separators,one for every 50ft of airline.. the second of which is actually a separator for a heavy truck airbrake system... and an air dryer setup just before the hookups for the spraygun
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...