need help coolant getting into oil

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

CO684X4

need help coolant getting into oil

Post by CO684X4 »

Ok here is my situation. Im getting a tiny amount of coolant into my oil. Its not much. When I take off the oil cap I notice a milky residue on the cap. Which usually indicates there is coolant in the oil. I thought that the intake gasket was bad so I tore it apart. Well the gasket is ok and not the problem. What I did notice is taht on the back of both heads where the coolant passage is there is a small hole under it. This hole is part of the coolat passage. It is not sealed by the gaskets or intake. The intake does block off the coolant passage but not this hole. Its just open. So My question is how do I fix this problem? Do I just put some black RTV in the hole and plug it or what? Oh BTW I'm using a holey street dominator intake. Take a look at the pics for an idea of what im talking about. Sorry for the crapy pics.

RTG_RACING
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: need help coolant getting into oil

Post by RTG_RACING »

Umm I hate to be the guy to tell you this but thats normal. Short trips and condesation cause that. If you had water getting into your oil it would look like what you see under the cap in the pan. To be sure drain the oil and see if it looks normal. If it has water in it then it will look like a milkshake.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Plugging those would be a pretty bad idea. Those are the oil drainback passages for the heads.

FE's leak coolant with bad headgaskets, bad intake gaskets and in rare occasions the oil passage to the heads through the block can crack if the block has frozen, but you'll usually see oil in the water with that one.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
CO684X4

Post by CO684X4 »

so its normal then and I dont need to worry about it?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

When you reassemble the intake, put a thin layer of Permatex Ultra Black silicone on the heads, around the water ports and then around the water ports on the intake side of the gasket. Do not allow to silicone to "skin over". Assemble immediately.