Aux. tank installed today

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Aux. tank installed today

Post by FORDification »

Spent the day in the shop today getting lots of little things done, one of which was getting my fuel tank installed. I also had to reconfigure the emergency brake setup, since on trucks equipped with this tank, the e-brake cable is routed differently and uses different hardware to operate. I've got a few more pictures of the process that I'll be posting to a website update within the next few days.

I also spent some time getting the interior floorpans cleaned up and ready to be coated with POR-15, and I'll be at the shop all day again tomorrow doing a lot of cleanup on the cab. Within the next day or two I'll be ordering another 4 quarts of POR-15 to use on the cab floor, and some seam sealer for the seams inside the cab. So in about 2 weeks, if everything goes according to plans, I'll be ready to bolt the cab down permanently!
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Aux. tank installed today

Post by 91Bear »

KD, what do you apply the POR-15 with?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I used sponge brushes. I just brushed it on the skidplate and let it dry, but there were brush marks, so when I did the tank itself after I was done applying the POR-15, I used the sponge brush to 'dab' the application all over, which gave it a slight texture. It actually turned out prett decent, I thought....and looks better without the brush marks. If I wanted to brush it on but have it dry smooth I'd have to thin the POR-15 out a bit more.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Looking good, Keith! It's starting to come together! :wink:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fisheye

Post by fisheye »

Nice looking frame. Wish mine was so nice. I didn't have any place to dis-assemble the truck so worked on it from underneath in the driveway.
fisheye
A senior citizen still having fun but just getting slower.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, I decided that the frame should be the one thing that I really needed to get as nice as possible with this truck, since I'm sure I'll never have it torn completely down again. Anything that's bolted on can be unbolted to get replaced or repaired, so I might take a few shortcuts on the reassembly, since I can always come back later and re-do it as money permits.

What's going to be interesting is what comes next....the installation of a SECOND factory auxiliary tank! Rob (67F250CS) drove out from Ft. Campbell KY today to get the pickup box from the '67 F250 and brought me a present. He was very nice to donate a '73-'79 Highboy auxiliary fuel tank for the project. (Thanks Rob!) This plastic tank will sit down very nicely between the rear frame rails...I'll just have to move the rearmost crossmember back a few inches and fabricate (or locate) the mounting hardware and lines. And I'll have to start the hunt for the sending unit, since this one is thrashed. Here's a shot of the tank just sitting on the frame, for the visual:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

That looks really interesting, Keith!! I like that idea better than the one forward, as you can still run your exhaust out ahead of the rear tires. I can't wait to see more!!
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

Kool Now I know what to look for as opposed to a fuel cell. I want to locate my tank out of the cab and preferably at the rear like that.
Thanks for the great pics and info keith
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
fisheye

Post by fisheye »

To have a fuel tank made that fits the opening in your frame without moving or cutting take a look at what I did on the pictures posted in my album. I had www.directsheetmetal.com make mine and it was no more than buying an aftermarket tank. Just make a cardboard mockup with a glue gun and calculate the volume you need. I just took the cardboard tank to them and they made an aluminium duplicate and it works great.
fisheye
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Norm, that is SHARP! I really like that! :thup: I saw those pics before in your gallery but I guess I never really paid that much attention to them. So if you don't mind my asking, what kind of tab did you run up on the tank construction...just a ball-park figure?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

That is sharp! I make enough fuel tanks for aircraft... I guess it wouldn't be a biggie to do one for the ol' Ford as well... I'm sure that some government idiot would be able to find a reason it wasn't good, but if they don't catch ya, who cares? :evil:
John H.
fisheye

Post by fisheye »

If I remember right it was less than $300 but with them cutting and fitting the filler in the bed and building the stainless straps to secure the tank was another $200. That is close but I think it was under that for all costs.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Got the project update page done this evening:

http://www.fordification.com/my67-p44.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Hey Keith,
When I was looking at the update page, and the pic that you're talking about moving that one rear crossmember, it almost looks like the tank will fit without moving it, if you come from underneath with the tank, and mount it about flush with the top of the frame... but I'm not sure.. might be better than moving that member..... :hmm:
John H.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, it would fit if I cut out the bottom side of both crossmember channels, but that would weaken the frame a bit, and considering what I intend to use this truck for (towing a loaded car trailer), I don't want to compromise the strength of a lighter F100 frame any more than I have to. It really won't be much work to pop out the rivets, move the crossmember back a few inches, drill new holes and bolt it back in. While looking this over I was thinking like you are, but tentatively I think I'd be happier moving the crossmember back. Of course, I'll have a couple areas on my powdercoated frame that'll need to be filled in, probably with POR-15...and I'll have to be sure to try to seal up the areas where the powdercoating meets the POR-15, so minimize the possibility of moisture getting in there under either coatings.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video