The Beast

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

The Beast

Post by Heavenlyfire »

This may be a very long lasting post as I am finding more and more things that need attention on this truck :cry: . I am trying to get the electrical under control right now and have hit a wall, HARD. Went to the library and photo copied a wiring diagram for a 71 F series. Sounded good as I have a 71 F 250. Not. Almost all of the wires in the rear end are differant colors than what it calls for. And almost none of them work. I have gotten the tail light to work and the right turn signal, that's it. I got a new wire connector for the wires from the steering column to the lights from Scott (customcrewcab) and put it all together since mine was missing. Any help will be appreciated. I am more of a gear head than an electrician. :lol:
Last edited by Heavenlyfire on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: The Beast

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Here is what I am working on. I erased everything else to make it easier to see. The blue is stuff that is differant.
Last edited by Heavenlyfire on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I just went through that experience and here's my recommendation:

I would start and the front of the truck and move back. Some people recommend starting at the back and moving forward, but I prefer the other way.

For your brakes, start right at the brake light switch and see if that works. If so, keep moving forward through each connector and see where it stops working. Same for the turn signals. You can stick your test light pointer into the connectors and make sure each wire is getting power when it should.

Also, in the engine bay, you can disconnect the 4 wire connector and do your testing there. That way, you don't have to lie under the truck when you are doing your testing. There are only 4 wires that take power to the back of the truck. However, that is a little misleading because once they get to the back a couple connectors split up the wires for the 2 sets of lights in the rear. However, if you can get the 4 wires working right in the front of the truck, you are home free.

Did the lights ever work or is this a new truck to you?

Also, many of the turn signal problems are caused by a bad turn signal. So replacing that might solve some of your problems.

Finally, this is an electrical problem and you might get more response if it is in the electrical forum rather than the project update forum.
Last edited by dcbullet on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: The Beast

Post by dcbullet »

Heavenlyfire wrote:Here is what I am working on. I erased everything else to make it easier to see. The blue is stuff that is differant.
Is there supposed to be a picture there?
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

sorry bout that, forgot to add it lol, Thanks for the input. I have been working under the dash and trying to get all that figured out. I am getting ready to head under the hood.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

The blue wire with a yellow stripe is your horn.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Thank you
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Ok, wiring is working :hmm: . Back up lights are now my turn signals :lol: . on to the next project, or should I say back to it. Next is the other half of the roof to be stripped.