The Beast

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

The Beast

Post by Heavenlyfire »

This may be a very long lasting post as I am finding more and more things that need attention on this truck :cry: . I am trying to get the electrical under control right now and have hit a wall, HARD. Went to the library and photo copied a wiring diagram for a 71 F series. Sounded good as I have a 71 F 250. Not. Almost all of the wires in the rear end are differant colors than what it calls for. And almost none of them work. I have gotten the tail light to work and the right turn signal, that's it. I got a new wire connector for the wires from the steering column to the lights from Scott (customcrewcab) and put it all together since mine was missing. Any help will be appreciated. I am more of a gear head than an electrician. :lol:

Here is a diagram that I have fixed to show what I am working on and so far what I have found differant. The blue is the differant stuff
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: The Beast

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Ok, got the tail lights and blinkers working. No hazards, brake lights or reverse lights. I can hook my brake lights into my reverse lights and atleast I can drive then. For some reason it works that way. All of the problems are under the dash not in the rear end
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

If you use your test light down on the brake light switch, does it work coming out of the switch at least?

One of the wires will be always powered (the red I think), and the other will turn on when you press the pedal (black/red I think)
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

yep, got power from there to the harness and then nothing under the hood and back.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Well then you either have a problem with your turn signal switch or your wires are either broken or grounding somewhere in between the brake light switch and that first connector in the engine bay.

You probably know that though!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

that's what i am figuring too. But for now I think I have it driveable. I now have park lights, brake lights where they should be and I re routed the turn signals to the backup lights. May not be right but until I can find the problem, it works for me. :lol:
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: The Beast

Post by dcbullet »

Heavenlyfire wrote:that's what i am figuring too. But for now I think I have it driveable. I now have park lights, brake lights where they should be and I re routed the turn signals to the backup lights. May not be right but until I can find the problem, it works for me. :lol:
When I bought my truck the PO had the brake lights wired to the reverse lights and put red tape over the clear lenses. He did this with a wire running directly from the brake light switch, through the rear window, and back through the bed. :roll: :lol:

So don't sell your truck like that! Fix it and have pity on the next owner!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

that is the way this one was when i got it, and as for selling it not a chance. :D . I am having too much fun with it. Thanks for the help