Paintscratch.com Review

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Paintscratch.com Review

Post by dcbullet »

Someone here referred me to www.paintscratch.com. You can get any factory color in a rattle can. So, since I needed to paint my hood and tailgate, I decided to give it a shot and I wanted to share my experience with them.

My truck is a 68 with Lunar Green. Paint code U. When I went through their online order process, they did not have a vehicle type for our trucks. Rather, they had "All other Ford Vehicles." So I was a little concerned. Also, the name that came up for paint code U was "Tahoe Turquois," rather than "Lunar Green." So I gave them a call and they assured me that the name didn't matter, the paint code was what was important. So I went ahead and ordered it.

It came pretty quickly, like in 2 days. When I went to test it, the color was not the same as my truck's. First of all, it was metallic, and Lunar Green is not metallic. Also, it was a darker green. Doing a little bit of research on the net, I determined that Tahoe Turquois was the color for the paint code U for Ford cars, and there is a completely different set of paint codes for trucks.

I contacted paint scratch and went over that information with them. They asked me to send in a sample of their paint. I argued with them for a while because I didn't think they has mixed their paint wrong, rather, they sent the complete wrong color. They insisted that I go ahead and send the sample to them because "that's how they handle these things."

So I relented but also sent them website addresses with the paint codes for the 68 Ford cars vs. trucks to show them that the same paint code could have two different colors.

A couple days later, they sent me a replacement. It got here today and I sprayed a test card. Wow, it looks exactly right. I'm really impressed. Given that my paint is 37 years old, I'm impressed that it really hasn't changed color that much.

Now, I haven't sprayed the hood yet, but my experience with the service level at Paintscratch and the good match of the color, I wanted to give a thumbs up to them.
Last edited by dcbullet on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Paintscratch.com Review

Post by BigRedTruck »

and they don't have federal red....
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Mistakes happen. It's how they are handled that counts. Sounds like they did OK.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

dc ,that was me that reffered you. Glad to hear the service level was good. I ordered some touch up for mommas van and its perfect!! :D
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I'm going to get some for the wifes car. Great link. Thanks!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

I ordered some from them ages ago for my wife's Subaru and my Jaguar, and both were pretty much exact matches.

I'm tempted to try them for the wimbledon white and meadowlark yellow...they don't list ford trucks, but I assume :hmm: the mustang colors are the same?

I suspect my yellow has faded in the 37 years since it was applied, but even a mismatched touch up is going to be an improvement over rusty dings...maybe. :lol:
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Paintscratch.com Review

Post by dcbullet »

greenbank wrote:I'm tempted to try them for the wimbledon white and meadowlark yellow...they don't list ford trucks, but I assume :hmm: the mustang colors are the same?
No, that's the point of my review. The car and truck colors are not the same. However, maybe for wimbledon white it is.
WindowsBreakerG4

Post by WindowsBreakerG4 »

Great link! I might be ordering some of this!
sebdmd

Re: Paintscratch.com Review

Post by sebdmd »

I ordered spray paint, primer, and clearcoat to repaint the bumper on my 2013 Ford F150. I followed the instructions exactly and my paint code was verified correct by Ford. I tested the paint as instructed and the color was a match. When I finished the process and applied the clear coat the paint appeared non-metallic. My truck has a metallic finish (Tuxedo Black Pearl). I contacted the company and sent them photos. I sent the paint back at their request and my cost. They sent me a new can of paint which I tested and the metallic finish was correct. I now have to start the process over because they sent the wrong paint to start. I asked them to provide the primer and clearcoat and I was told I would have to buy them. I have wasted numerous hours only to be brushed aside after they had my money. They make mistakes and don't stand by their products. Stay away from this company.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Paintscratch.com Review

Post by 1972hiboy »

holy cow this is handy thanks for the info!!
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....