a can of worms

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

a can of worms

Post by mouse »

my truck has been acting like it trying to skip a tooth and my new double roller timing chain set has just came in after a week of waiting. here is what 278,000 looks like

I can almost make it skip and I also found that my vacuum advanced is crimp shut, but on the good side I found out that my oil pressure is about 50psi so in all my speedometer is my only working gauge out of 5!
1971 F100 sport special 390 fe
1993 F250 4X4 ext-cab 6.9 idi
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: a can of worms

Post by mouse »

and here is my new sa gear performance timing chain

Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

See that green water on the right side of the pic. I changed my chain on a 390 with water at that same level and had to rebuild the motor from the water and antifreeze dripping down into the oil pan. Now days I siphon the stuff at least an inch down.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Dragon wrote:See that green water on the right side of the pic. I changed my chain on a 390 with water at that same level and had to rebuild the motor from the water and antifreeze dripping down into the oil pan. Now days I siphon the stuff at least an inch down.
I always change my oil before restarting when an engine has been opened up.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

its been almost put back together since last night because of the trough bolt on the alternator witch is frozen in my alternator. I have had it sitting in my vice since removal and constantly spraying it with penetrating oil, but it will not come out or turn freely. I don't have money for a alternator and my ride to the junk yard is missing a alternator :doh: :hmm: :?
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

i hope you pulled your oil pan and cleaned it too, there will be lots of nice little shattered plastic pieces at the bottom. it was a plastic ring gear that went over the top timing gear.
Nitrous is like a hot girl with std's... you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

I did not pull the pan but I did drain the oil, I did not find much in the pan and I got what all was in there out. I am glad I did this when i did because the plastic ring on the cam gear was badly crack but in tacked (if did skip it would of shattered). I got it finessed and it don't stutter or shutter any more. one more from my long list checked off 8)
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Most of those small plastic pieces aren't going to be in the bottom of the pan, they'll be stuck to the screen on the oil pump pickup, which will starve the engine of oil. I'd highly suggest cleaning that oil pump pickup screen out while you have things semi-apart. You'll thank me later. :wink:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

flatblack wrote:i hope you pulled your oil pan and cleaned it too, there will be lots of nice little shattered plastic pieces at the bottom. it was a plastic ring gear that went over the top timing gear.
Doesn't look like the teeth shattered, just a very stretched chain.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

FORDification wrote:Most of those small plastic pieces aren't going to be in the bottom of the pan, they'll be stuck to the screen on the oil pump pickup, which will starve the engine of oil. I'd highly suggest cleaning that oil pump pickup screen out while you have things semi-apart. You'll thank me later. :wink:
will do but it dose have 50psi according to a compression gauge, I pulled the check before I started to see if I needed a oil pump as well because my gauge don't work
mouse
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mouse »

Wes wrote:
flatblack wrote:i hope you pulled your oil pan and cleaned it too, there will be lots of nice little shattered plastic pieces at the bottom. it was a plastic ring gear that went over the top timing gear.
Doesn't look like the teeth shattered, just a very stretched chain.
no not yet but close
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the gear looks more like a steel gear thats already been replaced.