plastic gas cap?

Moderator: FORDification

BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

plastic gas cap?

Post by BigRedTruck »

Up till recently I had a metal locking gas cap on the truck. It was on the truck as long as i can remeber ...probably since the 70's oil/gas crisis. The springs or something quit so I had to get rid of it. I now have a non locking metal one. I decided to get anothe locking one today. the problem is that it is plastic and i'm in west texas....<90 all summer long. I am wondering if it will melt. should i stay with the metal one?
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: plastic gas cap?

Post by 68F250 »

I wouldn't worry about it, they have some pretty tough polymers now with excellent temperature and chemical resistance.

Personally, the plastic caps are butt ugly. Nobody makes metal locking gas caps anymore? I've got a keyed-alike pair of Stant metal caps, collectors item?
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

I used to have a metal locking cap. In the winter water got into the key hole and froze the stupid thing. Man, that is scary when you only get 9 mpg. Its kinda :oops: to ask if you can get a cup of hot water from the clerk, but it is better then getting a ticket for indecent exposure :D

I no longer have the locking style cap.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

i think mine was that brand too...you can get one that looks very similar through lmc about 8 buck but I went to the parts store. they said that was the only one that showed up....of course, they only carry certain brands.....I think that same company made my radiator cap too
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Found one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... eName=WD1V
Sounds like it should work, the filler neck changed in '71.

The ones I have look more like this with a red ring (note this one won't work on pre-'71 necks).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... eName=WDVW
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."