Takes a beating

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

groundhog180

Takes a beating

Post by groundhog180 »

I am pretty impressed with the severe abuse the FE motor in the big Taylor forklift I am using at the Mill can take. I think it must be either a 391 or 401. They have either a Holley or Edelbrack 4bbl on it,but the motor sits down inside the machine and is covered in grime. I can pick up double lifts of raw twenty ft. 1" or 3/4" conduit shells(pipe) weighing around 20,000lbs total for an hour straight loading trucks for galvanizing. I do have to raise the lifts before moving the machine because the motor will stall if you try to do both. Wide open throttle and glad I'm not paying for the fuel.....Lee

One of the yard trucks is also using one of these motors hauling a max load of 40,000lbs.
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Takes a beating

Post by Alvin in AZ »

FE's and FT's are different and the easy way to tell them apart is by the engine mount.
FE's mounts are on the sides of the block and are for "light duty use" like our pickups. ;)
FT's mount in the front using its strong steel timing cover. :)

So now... LOL :)
I'd really like to know what you're working with...
but yeah, either one, FE or FT...
is tough as anything! :)

Alvin in AZ
groundhog180

Post by groundhog180 »

Hi Alvin and All,
Thanks for the correction. I'm still new to the information on these motors. I'll have to wait a couple weeks(hopefully not longer!) from being laid off to check closer what the physical mounts are. Definately using the heavy duty high rise fan and big compressor. Most likely an FT,but I'll post more when I can. Steel Mills are taking a beating with economy. I do have the time to continue getting my 68' half ton ready for daily road use. 390FE with c-6 trans...Lee
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

groundhog180 wrote: I'm still new to the information on these motors.
Steel Mills are taking a beating with economy.
390FE with c-6 trans...Lee
Hi Lee I'm not new to the information but still learning. :)

Most (all?) FT's have a forged steel crank instead of cast iron like the FE's. (427's can be steel!:)
So the FT's tend to have extra balancing weight on the flywheel/flex-plate.
The FT's heads tend to be restrictive for better low end power.
The intake manifold heat is run through from a different spot so the heads and manifolds
aren't interchangeable except as a set -if- intake manifold heat is important to the builder.
The snout on the steel crank is a bigger diameter so the FT crank would need cutting down
to use FE accessories or the FE timing chain cover modified to accept a larger seal.

That's what I've picked up over the internet. :)
Thought you might get a kick out of the steel crank info being in the steel industry and all. ;)
I studied steel metallurgy for the fun of it (hobby) off and on over 20 years.
"Metallurgy Theory and Practice" by Dell K. Allen
Buy one. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. No kidding. :)
http://www.Amazon.com

"all wealth in this world comes from mining, manufacturing and agriculture" -?
Thanks for at least trying to make our world a better place, Lee. :)

Alvin in AZ 360FE T18 Ford9inch
groundhog180

Post by groundhog180 »

Hi All,
I'm back to work(for now) and the motor in the Taylor is front mount. Getting paid to run an FT for eight hours a day is fun!

Lee