Front end not pulling.

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

ROBT257

Front end not pulling.

Post by ROBT257 »

Well finally found some mud yesterday evening. It was fun for the first 1.5 seconds. Then we realized the four wheel drive was not working properly. I got out and double checked to make sure the hubs were locked. They were. Then checked to make the transfer case was tunring the front driveshaft. It was. But the front tires would not spin or appear to pull. The back right tire was the only one pulling until the back left finally broke loose in the mud and it would spin some. I guess its a limited slip. But the front should have spun right? I was thinking maybe the locking hubs are maybe not working? Whats the first step in checking to see what my problem is? FYI I am a novice but while try to tackle most any job that my tools allow.

Oh thanks to a pine tree being nearby and having the Ramsey helped me get out of the hole. But had to cut the trip short and that sucked!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Front end not pulling.

Post by heep70 »

The pass side front should had been spinning. Yes, pull the hubs (both) and compare it to the diagrams Keith has listed on the home page.

If that ain't it and the front d-line is spinning then I would say pull the diff cover. Possible a bad R&P.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
mr_josh

Post by mr_josh »

Easy way to test the lockouts and xfer case: put the transfer case in 2wd or neutral, lock your hubs, and then crawl under the truck (shut off the truck first, obv) and see if you can turn the front driveshaft by hand (it'll probably be hard to turn, but put on a pair of gloves and try as hard as you can to spin it). If you can spin the driveshaft, then one or both hub locks aren't engaged.

If the hubs are locking, go ahead and unlock them, then put the transfer case in 4hi or lo, and try to spin the front driveshaft by hand (again, it'll be hard to turn). If you can turn it, your transfer case isn't engaging.
Josh
---------
'72 F-100 Sport Custom 4x4
ROBT257

Post by ROBT257 »

Thanks for the help. Working 16-18hrs days right now. It'll be another week before I'll have time to look in to it. But what I was wondering was: If one side is locking and the other not. Would the side that locked pull? Or would both have to be locked for either to pull? It was obvious that neither was pulling when we got stuck.
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Typically with an open front only 1 wheel will turn under power, but both hubs need to be locked. If 1 hub is free the power will normal be transmitted to the free spinning axle (go figure). Mud needs a selectable locker in the front to turn both axles. I would disassemble clean lube and reassemble the hubs they may just be gummy from neglect.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
mr_josh

Post by mr_josh »

Like Wes said, unless you have both sides locked, neither wheel will spin. If you had one rear tire spinning and no fronts, either one or both hubs were unlocked, or the transfer case wasn't in 4.
Josh
---------
'72 F-100 Sport Custom 4x4
ROBT257

Post by ROBT257 »

Thanks that what I was thinking. Can't stop thinking about it. I just keep worrying about it. Guess I'll find out next week when I actually have the time to take'em down.

Oh and yes the trans was in four and we were able to see the front shaft turning. Just hoping the hubs are the problem and that they only need cleaning. Just worried sick its the differential!
fordwannabe

Post by fordwannabe »

Don't want to rain on your parade, and I hope it is the hubs sticking. If you find it is something in the differential start looking for a dentside front axle with front disc, it is a great swap and you will like the "new" stopping power. Good luck Tom
ROBT257

Post by ROBT257 »

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thinking I might have found time to get into it today. Actually right now I'm looking for an exploded view of the hubs or instructions. I pulled them off my 95 Geo Tracker years ago. Those were pretty simple. Best I remember: a sliding lock and a spring. Pretty much it.
ROBT257

Post by ROBT257 »

I'm so happy! Problem solved......

I got to it today. Pulled the right side off first. It didn't seem to be that dirty but it was froze up in the free mode. Looks like it might of had too much grease? Or maybe just too old of grease? Cleaned it up put it back on and tested. Worked fine. On the left just took the cap off and worked the locking slip (unknown what actual name is) seemed to be OK. Then went to do the old standby field test. Pulled up to a pine tree. Everything worked. So I guess with the right side not locking the differential sent all the power to that side. Now that its clean everything OK.

It started raining so I didn't finish with repacking the grease on the right. But plan to go ahead and tear down the left and putting fresh grease on both sides. Any ideas on the best kind to use?
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

just get a good quality HD wheel bearing grease, that's all those hubs and bearings need.
Wes

67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
ROBT257

Post by ROBT257 »

OK Thanks.....but the next question is do I pack them heavily (full of grease/solid) or just coat everything? Plus I heard of some stuff being graphite based and light colored. Would something like that be good and if so what is its commercial name?
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

grease the bearing well add some grease in the hub between the bearings, then just a light coat of grease between the sliding parts of the hub locking splines. When the grease gets hot it flow in the hub and coat everything. If you pack them full you will hyda lock the hubs.
Wes

67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

ROBT257

Post by ROBT257 »

And that my friends is why you ask. That makes since. Thanks. Will do.
ROBT257

Post by ROBT257 »

FYI. I went with a heavy duty synthetic grease. Did go in further than the locking hubs. But lubed them lightly and worked back and forth several times. Didn't have any parts left over and it all worked fine. Thanks for the help guys.