fuel gauge from a bronco II

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
68ford

fuel gauge from a bronco II

Post by 68ford »

I can pick up a bronco II fuel tank with fuel sending unit for free. i was wondering if the sending unit would work for my behind the seat tank? and if anyone wants the tank they can have it if I pick it up.
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
Henry Ford
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: fuel gauge from a bronco II

Post by FORDification »

Hmmmm...I believe the sending unit values would be the same, but I have my doubts that the float arm is long enough. I mean, it would probably work and read 'Full' when the tank is filled up, but with a shorter arm, it's going to read 'Empty' fairly quickly....maybe at about the half-tank point? I'm not entirely sure though, since I've never seen a Bronco II tank/sending unit. However, shallow tanks have short arms on the sending unit, while deeper tanks (like our behind-the-seat tanks) have longer arms.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68ford

Post by 68ford »

aahhh, very interesting. I was telling my wife i was thinking about the same thing, just not to the degree you were able to explain. i may try it and maybe rig the arm to be a little longer somehow? I hate to pass up the free stuff.

do you think i could just replace the bronco arm with my sending unit arm somehow?
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
Henry Ford
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Is the Bronco II sending unit a top- or side-mount?

Yeah, I suppose you could always braze an extension onto it, but to be honest with you, I think you'd be happier replacing yours with the correct part. Those are a dime a dozen at the local U-Pull-Its. Heck, I've even got a few of them laying around.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68ford

Post by 68ford »

im not sure....yeah i think you're right, i'll just get another from somewhere else. thanks....
Henry Ford