Need help removing locking hub assembly from Dana 44

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

heel&sole

Need help removing locking hub assembly from Dana 44

Post by heel&sole »

Hello, I can't figure out how to slide off the locking hub assembly from the Dana 44 axle. Trying to service the wheel bearings. This is on a 1968 F100 4x4. It has what I think are late 70s (?) disc brakes and Warn premium hubs. It appears to me that the outer diameter of the axle splines are too big for the inner gear of the hub assembly to slide off, but it had to get in there to start with someway so I can't figure it out. Any suggestions are appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Need help removing locking hub assembly from Dana 44

Post by fordman »

i had to look at the book. but it says the only things holding that in are either a snap ring . other than that you pull the whole hud as one piece after the snap rings are gone.
heel&sole

Post by heel&sole »

Thanks Fordman!

Maybe I expect to slide out easy and it needs some firmer persuasion. I will see if some force can get the hub inner gear over that most outboard part of the axle splines.
heel&sole

Post by heel&sole »

Just wanted to close this out. Per Fordman's recommendation, it slid out once I got a better grip (a slight tug with a puller) on the assembly than I had used before posting. Thanks for the quick response!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

hey i had to read the book to even know what ws going on myself. i only took one fo these apart in high school. i havent done one since. 1980? 81?