Fusible Link specifics

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
gjc12

Fusible Link specifics

Post by gjc12 »

Hi everyone, new guy here with an electrical question. I've had my truck for a week now, and while trying to get the turn signals to work I removed the ignition tumbler with the battery still connected. When I put it back in, I heard a hiss & a pop and everything electrical was dead. I realize now two things - first that I didn't need to remove the tumbler (don't know what I was thinking there) and two, always disconnect that battery first!

So after much reading here, I figured the most likely cause was a blown fusible link. Low and behold, I find some burned up wiring near my starter relay. I've attached a picture showing this, the green arrows point towards the broken wire.

Did that fusible link blow correctly? There's an orange plastic thing on the left broken wire that says "fusible link 16 gauge" on it. Does it do anything, or is it just a label? Also what's the right way to replace this? I don't know how much of it I should cut out and replace. I guess I could keep cutting back on both sides until I get clean non-burned wire. And would any 16 gauge wire do, or is a fusible link more than that? My carelessness is what got me into this mess, so I want to make sure I get this right. Also when I go to the parts store I'd like to have an idea of what I'm supposed to be buying. thanks!
1971 F100, 390 3-speed
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

I would get another fuse link for it.

I know my local NAPA has them just tell them you need a 16 guage fuse link.

If the person behind the counter is any good they will know what you are talking about.

The fuse link is a special wire that acts as a fuse. Replace it with the correct item!!!!!

Also when you replace it cut back as much tape on that harness as you need to get to the end of the link.

You should see where it is connected to the rest of the harness. Simply snip it off on the back side of the connector and crimp in the new fuse link.

Simple as that.
gjc12

re: Fusible Link specifics

Post by gjc12 »

Spartman,

Thanks for the tips. I'll drop by the parts store today, hopefully I'll find someone there who knows their stuff. This might be obvious to me once I get the new link, but how much of that wire is actually the link itself?

In the picture I attached, the left side is at the starter relay, and the right side goes into a bundle of wires. A little past where it joins the other wires is a bulge in the harness - is that the connector you're talking about? And is the link from the connector all the way to the starter relay?

Thanks again for the help - I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to messing with vehicle wiring!
1971 F100, 390 3-speed
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

The link is only about six inches long at the absolute most.

That bulge should be where the fuse link is connected to the harness.

Just cut away some of the tape carefully and the connector should be right there.

If you have any questions just take a pic after you cut away the tape and I will confirm or deny what needs to be cut.

Hope this helps.

BTW wire fires are fun. Much smoke and that beautiful burnt plastic smell...... :)
gjc12

Post by gjc12 »

Thanks Spartman - I got it taken care of and my baby runs again! I cut out the entire link - it was so fried that the whole thing was kind of "crispy" and if you tried to bend the wire you could hear all the metal strands inside snap. Replaced it with a new length of 16 gauge fuse link and that did the trick.
1971 F100, 390 3-speed
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Great to hear!!!!!!

I feel so smart now that I actually was able to pass some info on instead of being the one to ask for it.

Just teasing, if you need any more help feel free to ask.

If I don't have an answer there is someone here who does.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

:clap: Way to go spartman, :thup: :D .
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Glad you got your ride going again.
Another good way to fry a fusible link is to get your battery jumper cables crossed.
I was not amused with my friend Mickey that day. :x
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

:yt: "Opps"
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Good thing the battery didn't go boom.

I have heard they can make a very loud sound and spray that less than delightfull acid all over.