changing valve springs

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

jlona

changing valve springs

Post by jlona »

Can someone help with telling me a few things about changing valve springs. Im not quite a motor head yet. The truck is a 68 F100 with a 390. What is involved and what tools will we need to handle this task. Thank you in advance. Your help is very appreciated.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: changing valve springs

Post by willowbilly3 »

If you are changing them on the engine you will need an air source and a fitting to put air into the cylinder to hold the valves shut and keep them from falling out. I haven't done it on a shaft mounted rocker engine so my spring compressor only works from the rocker stud on engines with those. You will need to find or make a suitable tool to compress the retainer far enough to get the clips out. A small magnet is indespensible here. Also it helps if you whack the retainers a couple times with a hammer before compressing.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
MudinMan4x4

Post by MudinMan4x4 »

Agreed :wink:
"Gas' Guzzler fer life" "Southern Pride""It's not what you buy it's what you build"
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

willowbilly3,Has it right thats how I did my last set.

One thing is to make sure the Piston is all the way down in the whole before you put the Air to it.You dont want it to slam down to the bottom...:nono:

you can get the Tool to compress the Valve Springs at your local Parts Store.
This is the one I got at the Parts Store and works pretty good.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Another backyard trick is to rotate the engine around to where the piston on the cylinder you need to remove the spring(s) from is almost at TDC. Then remove the spark plug and insert as much nylon rope into the cylinder as you can, making sure you leave some sticking out the spark plug hole. Then continue to rotate the engine around (manually, and very gently) until the piston pushes the rope up against the cylinder head, holding the valves in place while you remove the spring(s).
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!