What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Post by BobbyFord »

71PA_Highboy wrote:
Actually, the law states only 1 party has to be informed that the conversation is being recorded. If you know the conversation is being recorded, then it meets the requirements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

And even if you did record it and it failed to meet the legal requirements for submission to court, that has no effect on your sharing it with us.

BTW, I am not a lawyer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Good luck
Wrong. Not in California. All parties invloved must be aware of a recorded telephone conversation:

"While the U.S. federal law only requires one-party consent, many states have accepted different laws. In some states all parties must give their consent or at least be notified that the call is about to be recorded (with necessary opt-out option: if you don’t like them to record the call, you can ask them to stop recording). There also was a case law decision from many years ago (the 1950's) that went to the Supreme Court and affirmed that the federal law does not supersede state authority/statutes unless the call or the tap crosses state lines – that is why each state went ahead and established their own guideline/statute."

States Requiring One Party Notification
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
District Of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky Louisiana
Maine
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma Oregon
Ohio
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

States Requiring Two Party Notification
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

Also, if you live in a state with only one party notification, you cannot call someone living in California and record the conversation without first notifying the person that you are calling that the phone conversation is being recorded.

California Penal Code section 632(a) provides in full: “(a) Every person who, intentionally and without the consent of all parties to a confidential communication, by means of any electronic amplifying or recording device, eavesdrops upon or records the confidential communication, whether the communication is carried on among the parties in the presence of one another or by means of a telegraph, telephone, or other device, except a radio, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year, or in the state prison, or by both that fine and imprisonment. If the person has previously been convicted of a violation of this section or Section 631, 632.5, 632.6, 632.7, or 636, the person shall be punished by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year, or in the state prison, or by both that fine and imprisonment.” Section 637.2 of the California Civil Code Section 637.2 creates a private right of action for violations of Section 632, and provides for damages in the amount of the greater of $5,000 or three times the amount of actual damages, if any, sustained by the plaintiff.
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

duckryder- good point to bring up about them watching this thread. we should all take a little caution to consider what we write in here. especially robroy I would think. if I were in the shoes of Pro-formance unlimited, I would consider some of robroys plans and intentions as good information to have.

just a thought.
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

WOW. Those cylinders look absolutely terrible! I'm really at a loss for words.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

fomocoguy wrote:WOW. Those cylinders look absolutely terrible! I'm really at a loss for words.
The wear is on the thrust side of the bore. Possibly piston rock from excessive piston/cylinder wall clearance.
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

BobbyFord wrote:
fomocoguy wrote:WOW. Those cylinders look absolutely terrible! I'm really at a loss for words.
The wear is on the thrust side of the bore. Possibly piston rock from excessive piston/cylinder wall clearance.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Robroy, how did the pistons look? Were they as worn as the cylinders? It's really a double edged sword; if they look old and worn then they weren't replaced; if they look new and shiny then they were replaced but put into worn old cylinders. Wow. Just wow.

One thing is for sure, wear like that doesn't happen in a half hour of run time unless the tolerances are WAAAY out of spec.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Lets stand down for a few hours and let robroy get all his pictures and video up... :wink:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Robert, Ryan, BobbyFord, 70ShortWide, and FoMoCoGuy, thanks very much for your great replies!
DuckRyder wrote: One thing that I would like everyone to keep in mind is that I would be willing to bet that ProFormance Unlimited is already reading this thread. There is at least one other person on this site that has one of their engines and even if one of their customers hasn’t already provided it to them, as we already talked about it turns up when you Google their name + problem, if I owned a business, I think I'd Google myself occasionally (despite what the celebrities say).
Excellent point!
DuckRyder wrote:There is more than one way to approach this, what robroy has worked on is definitely one way by essentially giving them “credit” for the salvageable parts. If I approached it that way, I would make every effort to use the actual prices from normally available suppliers. Summit racing for the new stuff and perhaps DSC Motorsports for the crank, heads, rods, and so forth.
Excellent thinking on the prices! As you know, the list I posted before was a really rough draft, but I tried to base most of those prices on what I could find at Summit. But should I make this list, I'll be sure to use the most realistic prices I can!
DuckRyder wrote:You could also just consider the engine block/heads/rods/crank and so forth a “core” and use the price it would cost to buy a used engine to rebuild. $150.00 would buy one around here, but that “105” block would bring good money at DSC.
This is my inclination, since at least the heads, crank, and block are basically "cores" at this point. That's quite interesting that the "105" block is valuable. Any idea how valuable? If Proformance Unlimited sold me something of value I should know about it, so I can keep my position completely fair.
DuckRyder wrote:The other way to look at it is to take what you were promised and determine what it would cost to have someone turn what you have into what was promised. How that works out depends on how well you can document what they promised. I am assuming you probably have some E-Mails that will do that.
Probably the best documentation regarding what they promised will be found in their paper invoice. It detailed many of the parts in the engine, including, I believe, a performance spec of "400 horsepower." It was on the phone that I heard the "436 horsepower and 463 ft/lbs of torque at 4,000 RPM" specifications.
DuckRyder wrote:I think that would yield a higher dollar amount, because I honestly do not think you can build a 436hp normally aspirated 390FE for $8995.00 (or whatever the exact figure was) including the carburetor, distributor, oil pan MSD and so forth.
Yes perhaps not!
DuckRyder wrote:Realistically mine probably makes something in the 400 – 425 HP range (although DD2000 said something ridiculous like 575) and the machine shop bill ALONE was $3500.00 and the only parts they supplied were the cam, rod and main bearings.
Ah, very interesting!
DuckRyder wrote:Either way you look at it I would use “real” money, if you were buying all of the parts individually you would shop the best price, so do not give them credit for MSRP if you can buy it for less. Likewise, if they said speed pro forged pistons do not charge them for Diamond of Ross, is the speed pros would make the power.
I see your point and agree--I should make all of the prices as realistic as possible. I think you're right that they said Speed Pro forged pistons at some point, even though they didn't actually wind up using those.
DuckRyder wrote:I would make it clear when talking to them, that I was not at this point looking to recover mileage, expendables, labor and so forth, but if it required legal action to reach a settlement I would be looking to recover every possible cent.
Excellent point. Yeah that's the truth and I should make sure to communicate it to them clearly.
DuckRyder wrote:Do not forget that there may be other help like:
The Better Business Bureau…
California consumer protection Laws…
Interstate commerce laws…

I am not a lawyer, so check all this out with yours, but avail yourself of all avenues to recover what you feel is due.
Thanks for that list! I may check in to it, but I'd probably hire a lawyer before spending too much time on my own, if my wishes turn out to be in conflict with theirs.
DuckRyder wrote:I think a computer guy, who has a ton of pictures and other evidence should be considered a significant threat should he take a notion to do something like whip up a webpage, detail this whole thing with “8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the side”. Even more so when he can get a thread on a little old Ford truck board on the first page of Google hits.

In other words, this could turn into a whole mess-O-trouble.
True! And I'm also guessing that my polite and agreeable demeanor works strongly in my favor, and makes my position seem more credible. Everybody here knows that I'm looking for a fair outcome, and not trying to "get back" at them or anything like that.

There's at least one other complaint against a Proformance Unlimited engine on the web, yet you can tell by reading it that the guy wasn't emotionally controlled--he was kind of "going off." That made his position slightly less believable to me (when I read it), although based on my own experience with PU, I see it in a different light.
1971ford wrote: Dang, so i could of met you down there after all, you stayed for quite a while! Oh well.
Yup! Tom is so generous with his time--it was a fun afternoon. I'm sure I'll see you there though for the test run!
1971ford wrote:I'm leaving to go see Tom in half an hour, I'll say hi to your engine :wink:
Excellent! Be sure to let Tom know that we're buddies and you're following my engine scenario (just for his amusement)!
BobbyFord wrote:Wrong. Not in California. All parties invloved must be aware of a recorded telephone conversation:
Hey BobbyFord, thanks for finding out about the California law on that! Even if it were legal, I'd feel like I was being disrespectful towards them to record without their knowledge.
70shortwide wrote:duckryder- good point to bring up about them watching this thread. we should all take a little caution to consider what we write in here. especially robroy I would think. if I were in the shoes of Pro-formance unlimited, I would consider some of robroys plans and intentions as good information to have.
Hey 70ShortWide, you're right, and Robert had some very good thoughts there. Since I realize that this thread's completely public, I'm assuming that Proformance Unlimited is reading every post, and that doesn't bother me. I have no wish to hide things from them, or trick them, or try to "get the upper hand."

Furthermore, and this may be the most significant point, I'm not in conflict with them at all right now. I haven't asked them to do anything that they've turned out. Although the predictions in this thread seem to strongly suggest that a conflict is imminent. I'm still figuring that they'll care about my situation and try to help me out; I'm very curious to see!
OK! It's good to know that they look bad to you too. I haven't seen a lot of cylinders in my day, although I did notice that on the engines Tom is building, the cylinders have a pristine, mirror-smooth finish.
BobbyFord wrote: The wear is on the thrust side of the bore. Possibly piston rock from excessive piston/cylinder wall clearance.
Good observation! You're probably right, although come to think of it, I'm not sure if I got any photos of the other side of the cylinders (the "roof" of the cylinders, based on how the engine was positioned).
fomocoguy wrote:Robroy, how did the pistons look?
Their walls were pretty scratched up. I'll be posting some high definition photos of those soon!
fomocoguy wrote:Were they as worn as the cylinders?
The wear looked different on them. I guess they didn't look quite as worn, but my photos will be most telling.
fomocoguy wrote:It's really a double edged sword; if they look old and worn then they weren't replaced; if they look new and shiny then they were replaced but put into worn old cylinders. Wow. Just wow.
The pistons look new (to me). And although you certainly could be correct about the worn old cylinders, from what I heard from Tom, the wear was most likely caused by fragments coming off of the camshaft (photos of that are coming soon also)!
fomocoguy wrote:One thing is for sure, wear like that doesn't happen in a half hour of run time unless the tolerances are WAAAY out of spec.
Yes, you could be right here!
DuckRyder wrote:Lets stand down for a few hours and let robroy get all his pictures and video up... :wink:
Thanks Robert! The delay's my fault though for getting wrapped up in replying to all the great posts! I'll focus more on photos and video now and respond to all the posts when they're all posted.

Robert, Ryan, BobbyFord, 70ShortWide, and FoMoCoGuy, thanks again for your superb replies!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Here are a couple of photos of the front of the engine. The bearing on the right's the camshaft bearing, right? You can see how scratched up it is. Note that all these photos expand to much larger editions when they're clicked on.

ImageImage

A general shot of the front of the engine:

And now for the heads. I heard from Tom that the two huge problems with the engine were the camshaft coming apart, and the heads--the heads were in very bad condition.

Tom pointed out that the valve guides had been replaced, but their sizes weren't right! The clearance between the valve stems and guides varied dramatically. In this photo, the valve that's sticking out wobbled quite a bit in the guide--it wasn't tight at all!

In addition to the guide issue, some of the valve seats were significantly recessed (it was different on every valve). You can see some writing with a black marker above each cylinder area--those are Tom's notes on measurements. I forget exactly which thing those numbers represent (the play in the valve guides or the height of the seats). I think it was the seat heights but I forget.

Here are some more detailed, up close photos:

I heard from Tom that this head (and presumably the other also, although he only took apart one so far) was extremely sloppy, and the head problems would have caused the engine to fall apart very quickly, even if the camshaft hadn't failed. He said with those super loose valve guides, lots of oil would have started to get through the there and the engine would have smoked terribly and come apart after a small number of miles.

More photos as I process them!

Thank you all for the generous guidance!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good afternoon!

Ready for an insane level of detail here? Here are the valve lifters. I labeled them with letters corresponding to their positions in the box Tom gave me. I'm willing to bet that Tom habitually places lifters in a box in a certain order, so he'd know which lifter went to which cylinder and valve. If this information becomes of interest, I can ask him for that information and post a legend for my photos.

As always, these tiny photos lead to huge, high definition ones when they're clicked on (I can stop saying this right?). :)

Lifter "a" seems to be in decent shape.

ImageImage

But WOW, what happened to lifter "b?" My gosh.

ImageImage

Here's a close-up of lifter "b's" head. Ouch!

Lifter "c" is not happy, but didn't run in to Freddy Kruger like "b" did. Note that the edge around the top of lifter "c" is pretty sharp and jagged, with little chips missing.

ImageImage

Here's another close-up of "c." This exposure didn't turn out too well, but it shows the hard core wear pattern from a different angle.

Lifter "d" looks reasonably healthy.

ImageImage

Lifter "e" seems OK, but the surface around the top edge is a little rough in one spot. I think you can kind of see it.

ImageImage

Lifter "f" looks OK, I guess.

ImageImage

Lifter "g" looked OK also.

ImageImage

Lifter "h" wasn't very happy! The edge around the top has lots of little chips in it (it's now a sharp edge), and you can see where Woody Woodpecker has been working on the top surface. Oddly, the wear pattern is quite different here than on the other damaged lifters.

ImageImage

Lifter "i" looked OK, although you can see some light scratches on the side (maybe that's nothing important).

ImageImage

Lifter "j" wasn't in hot shape. The upper edge was pitted and rough, and you can see a funny wear pattern on its head.

ImageImage

Lifter "k" seemed OK.

ImageImage

Lifter "l" was pretty messed up. You can see the rough, chipped upper corner surface, and the top has the chicken-scratch wear pattern going on.

ImageImage

Lifter "m" was only slightly hurt. Its surface does have some chicken scratches on it, although the upper edge is pretty smooth.

ImageImage

Lifter "n" looked OK.

ImageImage

The upper edge on lifter "o" was pretty chipped up and rough. Its top surface also has some light wear marks. It looks OK in the photos, so maybe these are things that you'd have to feel by hand.

ImageImage

Lifter "p" also had a pitted, sharp upper edge, although its top surface looked OK.

ImageImage

You can see how lifter "b," "c," and a few others came apart! Are any of you still wondering where all the metal came from in my oil? Just wait until you see the camshaft (coming soon)!

Thanks very much for all the fantastic advice!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Here are the camshaft photos! Those of you who aren't inclined to wade through all the photos should scroll down to lobe "n." It's the worst off.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Lobe "n" has a lot of damage.

ImageImage

I've become lazy at the end, so here are "o" and "p" combined in single photos. Come to think of it, I could have done all of them this way and saved some time (oh well).

Here's the end with the writing on it. It says, "07208 COMP CAMS 33-248-4."

Thanks for the outstanding guidance!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Here's Tom's setup for checking spring stiffness (or rate?). You can see that the gauge reads around 150, which according to Tom is far too stiff. I heard from Tom that this could have been a contributing factor in the cam failure!

Here are a couple of thrust bearing shots. I don't recall exactly which bearings these are, but I'll bet you guys can tell just by looking! Tom noted the uneven wear patterns.

Here's the head that Tom left assembled.

Notice how the golden (is that copper?) washer under the valve spring is off-center. Many of them were way off center--I heard from Tom that this is not good.

And notice how for one valve, two of these copper washers were used! I heard from Tom that this was an attempt to make up for inadequate machine work on the head (if I understood him correctly).

And here's the crankshaft. Tom said that it wasn't badly damaged, but it got scratched up enough to warrant being re-polished.

Here's a link to an image of the entire crankshaft, standing on end. Of course, we'll probably be more interested in the up-close photos that follow it.

CRW_5423z.jpg

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Here are a couple of really good shots of the cylinder walls! I overlooked these when posting my original photos of the walls.

ImageImage

And here are a few remaining photos. Since they don't pertain to any points we're discussing directly, I'm tossing them in here at the end.

ImageImage

The two remaining items are the video (I'm encoding it now but it'll take a few more hours to finish), and the information on my new build!

Thanks very much for the fantastic guidance!
Robroy
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I thought for clarity we should let robroy get the post up in a series, remember he still has the video of Toms thoughts and the recommendations for the new build, but you can start forming and posting your own opinions if you want to, I must say it is going to take me a while to digest it all, I'm actually rather angry...

Here are the post that got deleted as quotes, in the order they were posted:
1971ford wrote:Well i just got back from FE specialities :thup:
Tom is a great guy, I'd say you are in great hands! He gave us a tour and started up his Mustang for us as well.
I did tell Tom that I've been following your build online and I was trying to meet you at his shop yesterday, he gives lots of privacy to all the information of his customer's situation. He only told me some info on it because you have been posting detailed replies on your situation, and I seemed to know a great deal of the situation already. He does treat everything very professionaly :thup:
I'll be doing some business with him soon for sure
Just some questions pertaining to the camshaft failure...
Has Tom measured the valve spring rate as it corresponds to that camshaft? Flat tappet cams have spring pressure guidelines for each cam. Valve seat pressure at installed spring height and valve spring pressure at maximum valve lift, as well as the correct spring clearance in terms of coil-bind.
Did your heads have dual valve springs (inner and outer valve spring per valve)? If so did you remove the inner valve spring for break-in purposes? Engine builders should and do recommend this procedure.
Did you use suggested break-in oil and cam break-in additive? Synthetic oils are not recommended for engine break-in. Also break-in additive is recommended by every camshaft manufacturer, such as GM EOS (engine oil supplement), Comp Cams #159, Crane Super Lube, etc.
Did Proformance Unlimited give you any literature on engine break-in procedure? If not, they should have. Premature flat tappet camshaft failure on break-in has been on the rise for many years. Proper break-in procedure literature should be provided by or recommended by every performance engine builder/shop.
Here are a some links regarding flat tappet cams:
http://cranecams.com/pdf/548e.pdf
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/t ... _cams.html
http://www.stockcarracing.com/techartic ... index.html
http://www.camshaftshop.com/camshaft/79 ... -procedure
http://www.compcams.com/information/wha ... 1204901963
Has Tom measured the valve spring rate as it corresponds to that camshaft? Flat tappet cams have spring pressure guidelines for each cam. Valve seat pressure at installed spring height and valve spring pressure at maximum valve lift, as well as the correct spring clearance in terms of coil-bind.
Indeed, Tom measured the valve spring rates and found them to be way too stiff! I forget the exact figure but I have a photo of one of the springs on his measuring machine that I'll post shortly (the dial is included in the photo that shows the spec you're looking for, I think).
BobbyFord wrote:Did your heads have dual valve springs (inner and outer valve spring per valve)? If so did you remove the inner valve spring for break-in purposes?
Yes, they have the dual springs per valve. As to whether or not the extra springs were removed for break-in, I'm not sure. Proformance Unlimited did the break-in at their shop before shipping the engine to me.
BobbyFord wrote:Engine builders should and do recommend this procedure.
Makes sense!
BobbyFord wrote:Did you use suggested break-in oil and cam break-in additive? Synthetic oils are not recommended for engine break-in. Also break-in additive is recommended by every camshaft manufacturer, such as GM EOS (engine oil supplement), Comp Cams #159, Crane Super Lube, etc.
Interesting! I'm not sure what kind of oil or break-in additive they used.
BobbyFord wrote:Did Proformance Unlimited give you any literature on engine break-in procedure? If not, they should have.
Nope! I guess they figured I wouldn't need it since they broke it in at their shop.
BobbyFord wrote:Premature flat tappet camshaft failure on break-in has been on the rise for many years. Proper break-in procedure literature should be provided by or recommended by every performance engine builder/shop.
I see!
Thanks for these links! I'll study them some time to learn more about this.

Thanks again for your excellent reply BobbyFord!
Robroy

Dude, I have a core '68 302 block in the shed that has better bores than that.

:pop:
Jamie
Last edited by DuckRyder on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spellin'
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

I think that if proformance unlimited has read this thread then they'll refund your money. One would think they would realize that you are honest and just trying to make things fair. After all, you have not "slammed" them once. You have given them the benefit of the doubt every time. If they can do at least one thing right, it would be to refund ALL of your money for your trouble. If they cop an attitude and refuse, then I think legal action is your next and final step.

Regarding the build, that is just sloppy and unprofessional, period.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Robert

ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »