79 frame swap.

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

johnzmu

79 frame swap.

Post by johnzmu »

Seems like this is always talked about here, but I couldnt find the info I needed, Here goes. Ive succesfully mounted a 1972 body on a 1979 chassis(4x4). everything went really well, almost like it was meant to happen. the only concern I have is the steering column. Used the column out of the 79, and it bolted right in, but It seems to stretch the ragjoint just a little bit. Is this going to cause trouble or will it be okay? I dont really want to mess with steering to much cause of its importance,

Thanks in advance for any input! :D
knightfire83
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 79 frame swap.

Post by knightfire83 »

Not sure about this.... I thought only 2wd trucks had rag joints due to the steering box being mounted right next to the firewall??

On my 4x4 the steering box is mounted in front of the Dr. side wheel, and there is only a steering slip joint where the steering shaft connects to the box. This picture of Keith's is the basic setup.

I used the '75 4x4 steering column during my conversion and didn't notice anything unusual about how the steering linkage hooked up. Perhaps you could slide the steering column all the way forward where it connects under the dash to make up for your problem?

If you are talking about the slip joint being stretched a little bit in it's travel, you should be ok, there is a inch or two of movement in this sliding connection. Just be sure that the shaft isn't going to come out of it's socket as this would be very bad to loose steering control when driving.

Hey, when you go to hook up your turn signal switch wiring, I found that my '70 turn signal switch will mount into the dent side steering column, with the exception of one mounting screw. This way it's plug and play to hook up the switch, and you keep the emergency flasher switch in the dash. Haven't had any problems with it.
1974 Ford F-100 4x4- 360 / manual.
1970 Ford F250 4x4 ~ Sold.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 79 frame swap.

Post by fordman »

the column dash mount is adjustable. loosen the bolts ands slide it down a little towards the steering box.