390FE (406ci) for #50, built by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties.

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 390FE (406ci) for #50, built by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties.

Post by BobbyFord »

Hey Robroy, are you still running the inner fender mounted solenoid?
And...what's in the "Robs Baby Stuff" box next to the microwave?
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Bobby, thanks for replying!
BobbyFord wrote:Hey Robroy, are you still running the inner fender mounted solenoid?
Yes I am! The RobbMc instructions call for its retention, but it's wired differently. Instead of handling the full current to the starter as it normally does, it's re-wired to trigger the RobbMc starter's built-in solenoid instead. Thus, the RobbMc starter attaches both directly to the battery (in essence) with a large wire, and to the switched side of the inner fender solenoid with a skinny wire.
BobbyFord wrote:And...what's in the "Robs Baby Stuff" box next to the microwave?
Great question! And I'll have you know that my standards for humor and entertainment demand nothing less than a sincere answer: The contents of the box labeled, "Rob's Baby Stuff."

Here's #50's current state! Last night I installed the carburetor and partially installed an inner fender. It's coming right along!

Bobby, thanks for your most excellent reply!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening!

Thanks to the fantastic guidance I've received, How do I fasten a tie-rod nut if its stud turns in the arm?, Could I ask for advice on the March multi-groove pulley kit?, and How should the choke cable be attached to an Edelbrock 1407? have all been resolved!

I went ahead and drained the six month old gas, which turned out to be extremely easy to do! I removed the bolt I'd been using to plug the gas hose (where it normally connects to the fuel pump), and it siphoned right out on its own. I managed to get about four gallons out before it ran dry.

Here's the gas siphoning out on its own, and the fuel-hungry vehicle (454) destined to enjoy this "dog food."

ImageImage

With the gas drained, I clipped off the end of the hose that had been somewhat mashed by the threads on the plug (a bolt), and hooked it up to the nice new Holley high volume fuel pump!

I've heard from both Jamie and Tom Lucas that it's best to put fuel filters on the output side of the pump. With this in mind, I'll run it with the filter where it is for at least a few tanks of gas, just to make sure any residual particles left over from all the new tubing, hose, and re-sealing the gas tank are caught. Once that's complete, I'll either remove it completely or move it to the output side of the pump!

I hooked the radiator back up and put in a few bolts to hold things together!

ImageImage

It's truly fortunate that I have access to this beautiful garage to work in. After nearly a year of living here, I'm still not used to the incredible luxury of having a concrete floor and a roof over my head. Not to mention pegboard!

Unless I encounter any major surprises, this engine should be fired up by this coming weekend! Y'all can expect some good video clips--hopefully with no loud tapping sounds this time.

Thanks for all the generous guidance!
Robroy
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

:thup:

Looking good robroy!
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
TheEskimo
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TheEskimo »

Oh man, we have to wait :lol:

That is definatly looking good, can't wait for the vids.
-Jason
1972 F250 Camper Special 360ci
1973 F100 Custom 390ci
1985 Thinderbird 302ci (DD)
stephen44
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by stephen44 »

Yes - waiting with everything crossed...although I will miss all the posts on this thread - but knowing Robroy - he will find other topics to post on.

- Stephen
thanks

Stephen
(1967 F100, FE352, 2wd, 3 on the tree, flareside)
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Agreed! Looking forward to the weekend videos!

I am starting to think that perhaps Robroy missed his calling. From where he started to where he is, he's all but printed, collated and bound a perfect "how to" manual, as well as a "what to believe and what not to believe manual".

Were you to document all this in book format, I know several shops who'd have it on hand just to show customers what they're talking about. :lol:

Frank
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

:pop: :pray: :thup: alright Robroy!
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
sport71
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by sport71 »

I hope the best this time.. :thup:
Those who do not learn the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat it.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Robert, Jason, Stephen, Frank, BiggDogg, and Ruben, thanks for your most excellent replies!
DuckRyder wrote: :thup: Looking good robroy!
Thanks Robert! It's going together very smoothly. I find that having done this before, and so very recently at that, my rational mind can take a snooze while my subconscious does most of the work. I don't need to spend nearly the amount of time staring at it and scratching my head at this point!
TheEskimo wrote:Oh man, we have to wait :lol:

That is definatly looking good, can't wait for the vids.
Excellent! It has been five and a half months since I first fired up #50's previous engine. This has been quite an adventure!
stephen44 wrote:Yes - waiting with everything crossed...
Thanks for your good thoughts Stephen!
stephen44 wrote:although I will miss all the posts on this thread - but knowing Robroy - he will find other topics to post on.
As I go through the process of really getting #50 on the road, the topics will undoubtedly find me!
FreakysFords wrote:Agreed! Looking forward to the weekend videos!
Fantastic!
FreakysFords wrote:I am starting to think that perhaps Robroy missed his calling. From where he started to where he is, he's all but printed, collated and bound a perfect "how to" manual, as well as a "what to believe and what not to believe manual".
Thanks Frank, that's an interesting idea!
FreakysFords wrote:Were you to document all this in book format, I know several shops who'd have it on hand just to show customers what they're talking about. :lol:
That's a fun idea Frank! I should at least make a Web site with a chronological account of the last couple of years; it could be entertaining!

On a related topic, during a rainy weekend I actually started to put together a photo album site, but I didn't get very far with it. I only filled in parts of the "Draintrain" and "Brakes" sections. Here it is: #50 Photos.
BiggDogg wrote: :pop: :pray: :thup: alright Robroy!
Thanks for your interest BiggDogg!
sport71 wrote:I hope the best this time.. :thup:
Thanks very much Ruben! I think this is going to work out very well (of course I always think that).

Here I'm loading in five fresh gallons of 91 octane gas. I also got a nicer photo of the engine compartment in natural lighting.

ImageImage

All that's remaining to do is to fill it with coolant, hook up all the wires, and install the battery!

The two wires going from the inner-fender-mounted starter solenoid to the RobbMc starter get uncomfortably close to the header tubes, so I bought this heat shield tubing to protect them. I'll be sure to post better photos of this when I put it together. These photos can be clicked upon to see much larger editions, in case anybody wants to read the box.

ImageImage

Here it is all stretched out.

ImageImage

And here's an extreme close-up of the shield's peculiar material: IMG_7259x.JPG

What do y'all think of this type of shield--is it a decent way to protect the wires that run to the starter from header tube heat?

Robert, Jason, Stephen, Frank, BiggDogg, and Ruben, thanks for all of your kind and encouraging words!

Robroy
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

For the starter wires, I run them forward from the starter to the engine mount, then to the frame and up to the solenoid. Larger gauge mains vs. stock too. Note that after cranking for 30 seconds or so if any connection is warm to the touch it has resistance and should be repaired. Dialectric grease works great.

Great to finally see some progress :)
Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good afternoon Jamie, thanks for replying!
Ranchero50 wrote:For the starter wires, I run them forward from the starter to the engine mount, then to the frame and up to the solenoid. Larger gauge mains vs. stock too.
Okay, thanks for explaining that. So your wires run up in front of the engine perch, not behind it, right? I'm pretty sure that's how I have mine routed also!
Ranchero50 wrote:Note that after cranking for 30 seconds or so if any connection is warm to the touch it has resistance and should be repaired.
Thanks for this great tip! I'll take note of the connector and wire temperatures.
Ranchero50 wrote:Dialectric grease works great.
Great! I have a tube of that on hand, so I'll be sure to use it!
Ranchero50 wrote:Great to finally see some progress :)
Thanks Jamie!

The weather here today has been absolutely perfect, and I made some good progress! Here's a large photo of the California Sunshine: IMG_7298x.JPG

Here's how I'm routing the starter wires--you can see how they come pretty close to the header tube as they pass by the front of the engine.

Yet this is what I'm really concerned about; they pass within an inch or so of the header tube as they get close to the starter. They'd actually get much closer to the tube if not for the torque on the little nuts holding the connectors on at that angle!

So does that heat shield tubing look like a good idea for this area? It's actually long enough to protect both questionable zones (right at the starter, and the area where the wires pass by the front of the header).

I filled it up with coolant! I put in three gallons of antifreeze first, then filled the rest with distilled water. It took about 4.5 gallons total, although I think the radiator still had some in there left over from before.

ImageImage

I then spent some time triple-checking the connections and my sanity. Here's how the truck looked early this afternoon:

And here's how it looked an hour ago:

ImageImage

Can anybody spot what changed between 2PM and 6PM? Stand by for the full story!

Jamie, thanks very much for your excellent reply!
Robroy
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

SOoo exciteddd :D
It must be 100 times nicer working with fresh air and a driveway worth of space now! Not to mention the light and everything else as well.
-Ryan
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You turned it around ? :hmm:

Under its own power?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

If it's moving under it's own power, I would almost bet he drove it around the block. I know I would have... :D
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger