Cab Removal/ Bed removal

Moderator: FORDification

Drewskigrafix

Cab Removal/ Bed removal

Post by Drewskigrafix »

O.K. I am a "Shade tree mechanic" at best. I would like to do a frame off, & learn/ read as I go. What is the RIGHT way to remove the cab & bed?

Are there archived details on this, &/ or web links to this? With a month old little girl at home, I will be doing this at 2 hour intervals. The first thing I need to do is get the vin's from the frame (which I now know how to do thanx to this site), because it came without a title. Also, what is the most painless way to title search? I live in Virginia.

Any past experiences are very welcome to save any costly mistakes!

Thanks,

Drewski :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
Drewski
Drewskigrafix

re: Cab Removal/ Bed removal

Post by Drewskigrafix »

:oops:

I'm a moron. Also, I am on my 2nd O.T. day, soooo......

I just scrolled down & got the "How To" on the cab removal. However, tips are still welcome!

Thanks,

Drewski
Drewski
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

The cab on our truck was the last thing we removed, and it was hard. We started with our bed first, and just unbolted the 8 bolts, becuase it is a lwb, and me and 2 other guys carried it off. It would probably be easier wiht 4 though. Our way of getting the cab off, is no sure way. I dont know if you already have everything diconnected, but the gas lines have to be disconnected if you have an in cab tank, the steering has to be disconnected, and the four nuts holding the cab to the frame also have to be out. It would also be easier if the doors were off. We had heard that if you get two 2x4s and a guy on each side, that you could lift the cab off. We could not get that to work at all, so we pretty much lifted the cab off the frame high enough with a jack, and wedged a 2x4 underneath it. Then we somehow got the 2x4 to the other side of the cab, so it was sticking out both sides, between the cab and the frame. We did the same with the other 2x4. With one guy on each side we just slid the cab off with the boards underneath it. This is no good way, and it will for sure not work for our new frame, so right now we are stuck with a cab in our garage that we cannot move, that I am trying to think up an idea for now.
There should be another person along that can help you find a better way.

Stephen
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
Drewskigrafix

Post by Drewskigrafix »

Thanks Stephen. Any advice is taken. The truck appears to be an old state (Virginia) vehicle. The next thing after the cab & bed removal is getting the vin's trying to get a title.

Thanks,

Drewski
Drewski
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Here's a couple pictures that show I've done this in the past: :D

Of course, few people have access to such luxuries. My father-in-law owns a monument company and uses the truck in the second pic for moving big slabs of granite.

Depending on how much room you have to work with, you could do it like this:

Get the cab disconnected. Tilt it forward and slide a 12' 2x4 or pipe under the back side, about where the rear cab mounts would be. Then tilt it backward and stick another 2x4 or pipe under the front end. Then you and three buddies will each lift one corner while a fourth rolls the chassis out from under it and then runs back and sticks a sawhorse or 55-gallon drum under each corner.

...or if you're ambitious, you could rig up a hoist (gantry) like the one it the following pictures. I saved this from a user's gallery at HotRodders.com:

Harbor Freight has a gantry similar to this, but at almost $600 it would be kinda hard to justify it's purchase for just one project. CLICK HERE to take a look at their version.

I've also heard of people who have simply used a common engine hoist. After the doors are removed, you simply stick the boom into the cab and rig up some slings to attach to each corner and lift it that way.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!