How much do you trust your bump?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Farmall

How much do you trust your bump?

Post by Farmall »

I have been driving the 71 as much as possible, stretching his legs a little more each time.
Hopefully I have replaced or repaired most of the things that would leave me on the side of the highway. I get an allowance for driving my personal vehicle at work so I take the Ford out when I go out to the country and the weather is going to be nice.
I had to go over to Garrett Co. MD yesterday and took 40 up over the mountain out of Uniontown, PA. Up and down the hills out to Keysers Ridge on I68 the old 302 pulled great. I put over 200 miles on it yesterday and had a blast (at work no less).
How many folks put some regular mileage on their trucks?
Sitting on the scenic overlook on 40 (supposed to be able to see 7 counties from here).
Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.
My Truck
Farmall

Re: How much do you trust your bump?

Post by Farmall »

OH....... and and important find!!!!!!

While I was driving yesterday I heard a very distinct sound.
A small piece of metal hitting a larger one..... tink.
I thought to my self, self, you better look into that. I pulled over and found a nut on the floor.
It was the nut for the bolt that pins the brake pedal to the master cylinder rod. Hmmmmmm. There's something I need to tighten.
I must not have run the lock nut on far enough for it to stay put when I changed out the master cyl.
Good thing I had some wrenches with me, I feel better now. :D
Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.
My Truck
1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1970FordTK »

I have used mine for a DD sense I got it back together. Nothing unusual about making the trip to Spring Lake NC (little over an hour of driving) or to Creedmor NC (half hour of driving) to practice one of my other hobbies. Only thing I notice is no cruze control, due to the twin return springs on the carb can get to be a bit tiresome on the leg. :D
Lazy Jake

Post by Lazy Jake »

My '68 F-250 C.S. is my DD when I'm home from the road. I don't do long trips with it simply because the fuel mileage (with a 4.11:1 gear) is horrible. But, I love it for around town and short runs. P/S, P/B, torque out the wazoo,what's not to love. Bottom line, I trust my bump to go anywhere, anytime.
1946 Ford business coupe
1968 Ford F-250 Camper Special
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Only Vehicle i trusty with my life. But the ac in the cougar is nice.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
knightfire83
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by knightfire83 »

Hey that's a good looking truck! Good thing you stopped and found that nut, that was very lucky. :pray: :thup:

I drive mine everyday ~ every where. Have people staring at it all the time.... kinda gets me paranoid. LOL

Good ol' trucks... I'd take mine anywhere.
1974 Ford F-100 4x4- 360 / manual.
1970 Ford F250 4x4 ~ Sold.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

My '68 has been my DD since 1991 it has died 3 times all in the driveway.2 years ago I ended up with a third nut in the mountains and was unable to put on brakes
and went off a 400 ' cliff knocked down many pine trees and it drove home with no damage..........I LOVE my truck :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I put a lot of miles on my 70. I can think of 1/2 a dozen things that happened to it while driving it as my DD for 180K in 3 years. The cool thing to me is that never once did it strand me or break to where it wouldn't get the job done anywhere but in my driveway. Once, the old D24 transfer case literally fell out as I pulled in the driveway with a trailer I'd just towed 250 miles. I lost headlights coming off a mountain in ice once and the headlights would pop on just enough to see where I was at. Adding oil to the first 390 I had in it on the side of I-5 at 2 AM I dropped the oil fill cap and couldn't find it. So I duct taped the breather hole up thinking that would keep the oil in. 20 miles later I could make out a severe blue haze behind me and smelled oil. Pulled over to find the crankcase pressure built up and blew a foot of the pan gasket out. I poured all the oil I had in it, got another 20 miles, stopped at a minimart that was open and bought all the oil they had, about 20 qts. That got me another 30 miles Before the pressure gauge started bouncing to zero. I had to be somewhere or atleast have a life or death excuse of why I didn't get there and I was 30 minutes behind schedule already. I pulled back on the freeway and held it at 4500 (that was around 90 MPH). Watched the oil pressure gauge occasionally bounce off zero and hit 2 psi, cranked the stereo up to drown out the very loud lifter clatter. In 45 minutes I arrived where I needed to be 20 minutes early. A couple weeks later I put 5.5 qts in a 6 qt system to reach the full mark. It fired right up and I drove it 10 miles home and installed a new pan gasket and found the breather in the engine bay.

I could fill a book with stories like that, that's why the truck is important to me.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
jeepgod

Post by jeepgod »

My truck sat parked in a field for at least 3 years. I pushed into the driveway rebuilt the carb and went through it. I then drove it from Nevada to Iowa towing a trailer. I since then have used the truck as a DD and then when we moved back to Nevada I towed a Car and the bed was full. The truck did great and just a little 302. I love this truck it does what ever I ask it to.
68_250

Post by 68_250 »

I have driven my 68 to Wy. and back From Ca. several times. It was my DD for about 8 years. Now my 71 F 100 is my daily Driver. I aint scared.
Russ Stanley

68 F250 ( ol' Grand Dad)
71 F100.( Old Blue)
65 Valiant Wagon (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 PowerStroke(The Golden Goose)
TexasTruck72
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by TexasTruck72 »

My 72 is pretty reliable, now that I've had to replace a lot of stuff that caused me to break down. Just got the steering column rebuilt, hopefully no more getting stuck in first gear(3 on the tree). Other than a few issues, I'd be fine with driving mine hundreds of miles. I hope after I rebuild the engine one day, it can be my daily driver.
Jack

1943 Ford GPW Jeep(sold)
1972 F-100 Custom
1976 F-150 Explorer
1996 F-150 Eddie Bauer ed.
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Mine's a DD and I do put a mess of miles on her, but I won't be comfortable taking long trips with her until I replace the trans.

Frank
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

Mine is my family's DD. We fill her tank every week and it lasts till next week. I drive about 160 mi a week. She has been a trooper for about a year now. Now that we got my dads 88 I hope to see those miles drop. :) Would I take her on a long trip? Heck ya if I had a way to get her back if it broke down. :wink: Done the milage and I get about 10 mpg. In about a year I am looking at a full engine rebuild, while the 360 is out I will drop in a 5.0 EFI with a M5R2 trans. When that happens I will be definitly have a topic in Project updates. :D So ya I trust my bump.
Joshua
aka Young Gun 8) :drive:
FE - Famous Engine
(Brandi) 72 F100 360 5.9L Sport Custom 6" Lift
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Happy_Camper »

These old trucks are like the Energizer bunny, they keep going, and going.
The single biggest job my bump gets to do is pull a 5th wheel trailer.
After some fast thrashing on maintenance items, I did a 2,000 mile round trip to pick up a 5th wheel trailer.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... it=spokane
And will spend quite a bit of time pulling this trailer around the Sierra Nevada's and Pacific Coast this year.
What else is there to do with a "Camper Special" than go camping. :D
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

I trust mine however due to lack of garage space at my house I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like to. :( It's going to get a good ride in couple weeks though. I too will be heading thru Uniontown to Smithfield, PA. for an antique truck show. It's about a 150 mile round trip for me. The original owner hauled a fishing boat back and forth between Heidelburg, PA and Lake Erie every summer for the 35 years he owned it. Swore it never let him down. :)

Hey Farmall I see you're in Greensburg. I'm in Tarentum.
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "