Salvage yards in NE Texas

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Salvage yards in NE Texas

Post by dustman_stx »

Anyone know of some salvage yards in NE Texas near the Bonham area that would have a decent supply of 73-79 trucks? I am looking for a rear axle to do a swap to get the 31 spline axles, and it seems as though what I've got is not going to suffice and I'll need to pull one. I know of a few pick-a-parts near Fort Worth that would probably have what I'm looking for, but the 2 hours each way is rough. Thanks in advance.
gregamorton
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Salvage yards in NE Texas

Post by gregamorton »

There is one in paris at the yard across from the Chevrolet house. It is a 1979 with 2.75 gears it was there last week I will check tomorrow for you if u want. I buy a lot of stuff from him. I buy in bulk most of the time.
1967 mercury F350 7.3 IDI ats turbo kit c6 gear vendor overdrive 3.73s rolling on 19.5s
1971 sport custom on 1979 f350 highboy frame 460 c6 np205 dana 60s 3.54s
1974 F100 baby blue & rust 240 3 speed 3.70s sitting on the ground!
1990 F250 extended cab FI460 e40d 3.55s daily driver
Possibly looking for my next bump right now!
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

gregamorton wrote:There is one in paris at the yard across from the Chevrolet house. It is a 1979 with 2.75 gears it was there last week I will check tomorrow for you if u want. I buy a lot of stuff from him. I buy in bulk most of the time.
Thanks for the offer. I was actually hoping to find something in a 4.11, but I'm thinking I'll need to be open to a ring and pinion swap. Don't go out of your way, but if you are there you might ask about it. Knowing if it's locking or not would be helpful, too. And a price if he still has it. I had forgotten about Paris. Don't remember what's near the yard I'm thinking of, but if you turn off of the loop back south at Popeye's, there is a yard a few blocks down on the east side of the road. That's not the one you're talking about, is it?
gregamorton
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by gregamorton »

right down from there. Dave Makennys yard. I bought the last posi he had a few weeks ago. I pay $60 for each rear end but I usually buy 4 or 5 at a time.
1967 mercury F350 7.3 IDI ats turbo kit c6 gear vendor overdrive 3.73s rolling on 19.5s
1971 sport custom on 1979 f350 highboy frame 460 c6 np205 dana 60s 3.54s
1974 F100 baby blue & rust 240 3 speed 3.70s sitting on the ground!
1990 F250 extended cab FI460 e40d 3.55s daily driver
Possibly looking for my next bump right now!
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

gregamorton wrote:right down from there. Dave Makennys yard. I bought the last posi he had a few weeks ago. I pay $60 for each rear end but I usually buy 4 or 5 at a time.

Had a guy just quote me $200 and I pull from Ellis in Sherman. :roll: I'm thinking $150 max for a good unit with locker, but if you're getting them for $60, maybe offer even less?? Are those pulled, or are you pulling them for $60? Since you apparently are buying a lot, got any you wanna part with??? :D
72truckdriver

Post by 72truckdriver »

North of Bonham on 78 on the left he has a lot of old fords may just find what you are looking for. Sent a friend out there last week for parts for his 78 f150 and he got all kinds of goodies. I have a rearend out of a 76 in my shop but havent opened it up to see if it has 31 spline or a locker yet.
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

72truckdriver wrote:North of Bonham on 78 on the left he has a lot of old fords may just find what you are looking for. Sent a friend out there last week for parts for his 78 f150 and he got all kinds of goodies. I have a rearend out of a 76 in my shop but havent opened it up to see if it has 31 spline or a locker yet.
Left headed toward Bonham, I assume(east side of road)? You are correct that there is a shop a few miles out of town with several bumps. Even a few in the front I assume he is trying to sell. I actually have a good friend that runs a wrecker service whose shop is about 1/4 mile north of there on the west side of the road. Have never stopped in and talked to him, but I guess I should. For some reason I wasn't under the impression he was parting them out, but I guess he is. Thanks for the reminder.