No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

QUICK question!

Post by 1971ford »

on my '71 racer with 429...

we borrowed dump cans for the race ina couple weeks and i wanted to see how well the dumping angle is with my fuel cell filler setup so i grabbed a dump can and put it on the filler and lifted it to see how high it needs to go and such...
well there was still maybe a coffee cups worth of "gas" in the can that i dumped in. Some spilled in my bed and i was joking how the truck will have a burst of race fuel and my brother joked how it's probably water. I think... OH *&(%$ as i smell the "gas" on my finger and it has no smell.

I just put a coffee cup worth of water into my 32 gallon fuel cell... witch has about 5 gallons of gas in it.
How bad is this... can i throw 10 gallons in and dillute the little bit of water or is this a big deal. Do i need to spend my free work night tonight disconnecting, pulling foam, and pulling my cell out!?
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: QUICK question!

Post by 1971ford »

and i just realized that i welded a 2" DOM tube right above the fuel cell for spare tire mounting, i get to cut that out to pull the fuel cell if that's what i have to do.
-Ryan
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Ryan!

Sorry to hear about your situation; I can imagine making that kind of mistake myself!

I know that there are fluids sold at the auto parts that folks dump in their gas tanks to somehow get rid of water--have you considered trying one of those? I have no idea how well they work!

I sure hope this works out well for you and you don't have to pull your fuel box out!!!
Robroy
bluemoose

Post by bluemoose »

I think I would try dry gas before taking the fuel cell out. I'm not sure how much water one bottle will convert, but it is esentially methanol or isopropl alcohol. It will help to take the water out of the fuel, or allow it to burn off. If that doesn't work, fire up the torch. :cry:

Moose
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Fixed!
Thanks for the replies...

It was easier that i thought.
Don't forget about the tools the truck is equipped with... electric fuel pump! Simple took the fuel hose off the carb and put it in the bad dump can and i just finished pumping all the fuel from the tank into the dump can. There might be a tiny bit of water left in the fuel cell corners butt it should be OK now...
Were about to go get gas to bring back and put in the truck so w can take it to the gas sation. Hopefully we make it.
-Ryan
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good afternoon Ryan,

It sounds like you chose an excellent strategy! Have you considered putting in some water-eating chemical with your new tank of gas, simply to tackle any traces of water that might remain? Perhaps that's over-kill; I'm not sure.

Robroy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

rubbing alcohol or heet.