"The wreck of the Ol' '67"

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Dan

"The wreck of the Ol' '67"

Post by Dan »

Being a new member here I thought i'd share a 1967 Ranger story with you all...it still breaks my heart but since I took pictures at the time it always makes a good story...

Back when I was about 16-17, a Grandfather of a friend of mine had passed away, and Grandma wanted to sell Grandpa's 67 Ranger shortbox to my buddy (her grandson) for I think $500.

I had been into Ford trucks since elementary school, so I already had my eye on this really sweet ride, and was more than jealous when he got first dibs on it and bought it. But I suppose that was the right thing to do! He got it on a Thursday or Friday, so we spent the weekend detailing it and other minor things teenagers do when they get new wheels.

It was a Minnesota truck, but grandpa loved it and took care of it, it has MINIMAL rust, and the grill was like new.

The interior equally as nice, I really liked the metallic dark green colors inside and out on this truck, my first car was a metallic green Dodge Challenger with matching interior, would have made a nice pair!

Grandpa DID take a broom and some green house paint to the box at some point--why I don't know but....

Over the weekend we called all our "cool car and truck" buddies and told them to meet us Monday in the school parking lot so we could line up all our classic vehicles and take pictures, that's why I had a camera along, remember this was back in the early 80's so digital cameras and cell phones were not the norm.

On the way to school monday morning, with another buddy and a girl crammed in the truck, we approached our own school bus and that's when I noticed my buddy pumping his foot rapidly on the brake, then suddenly jerking the column shift into second, and then attempting first....but it was too late, we slammed right into the back of our own bus!

(note the actual bus in the left of the pic) Apparently the brakes had 100% failed, and he didn't swerve around because he didn't want to risk hitting any kids trying to get to the bus (smart call considering he was 17 or so!) and thought he could manage the stop.

I banged up my right arm bracing against the passenger side of the dash, and the girl with us hurt her knees and shins against the dash in the middle, but really we came out of it fine in the end.

Later we put a different front clip on it and he used it for "just a truck" but it never returned to it's former glory, really a shame it was a great truck!

Makes me appreciate my 67 Ranger shortbox all the more, even though it's been over 25 years, you just never know when something will happen, and it's a great lesson about putting your restoration $$ into the mechanicals FIRST, then the outer beauty stuff!
Last edited by Dan on Fri May 21, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: "The wreck of the Ol' '67"

Post by robroy »

Good evening Dan,

That's a truly classic story--thanks for taking the time to post it here!

You're a great writer! I really enjoyed reading your story.

Did y'all ever find out exactly what caused the brakes to fail?

Robroy
Dan

Post by Dan »

Honestly I don't remember! (Getting old I guess...or so the wife tells me anyway!) The truck sat wrecked at the local gas station for a time which was the city's "impound lot" so to speak back then, until my buddy got the $$ for that junker front clip. He must have fixed the brakes at some point during that time with our other buddy who was in the crash too.

On a side note, the kids on the bus couldn't figure out why the bus didn't leave that stop, even the kids in the back seats hadn't realized they had been hit that hard! It wasn't until they recognized us walking along side the bus windows that they stuck their heads out and asked: "What the heck are you guys doing out there? What's going on? Why aren't you on the bus?"

Literally the only damage to the bus was the rear license plate light had 1/2 of it's circular lens broken off, otherwise not even a scratch! The hood of the truck had a nearly complete reverse impression of the bus license plate stamped into it, I can't find that pic at the moment but I have it someplace.

It seriously still pains me to this day to look at that MINT chrome 67 grill, and then to see it mangled & crushed....ugh!
kyle ray

Post by kyle ray »

very good story! the pics helped out alot !