I find it mindblowing

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

I find it mindblowing

Post by OldRedFord »

I find it really odd that in some of the posts I read on here some of us have to have the sniffer test done on our trucks. Here anything 25 years old or more is exempt, and its only in certain counties.

So if you have the sniffer test on your old vehicle..is it a county to county thing or is it a state wide deal?
Just curious. :?
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: I find it mindblowing

Post by fomocoguy »

OldRedFord wrote:I find it really odd that in some of the posts I read on here some of us have to have the sniffer test done on our trucks. Here anything 25 years old or more is exempt, and its only in certain counties.

So if you have the sniffer test on your old vehicle..is it a county to county thing or is it a state wide deal?
Up untill a few years ago it was 25 years old and newer around here, and only in the most populated areas. About ten years ago they adopted the "gateway clean air" act and started using dynos that measured your emissions under actual road going conditions, running your vehicle up to 60 mph on a treadmill. That failed miserably after many MANY people had problems with there cars getting damaged, so now only OBDII equipped vehicles are tested (1995 (or is it 96?) and up). Everything still has a safety inspection unless it's registered as historic.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

MD does the dyno on everything under 25 years and 25k rating. OBD2's get plugged in and gone. Pretty sad deal for $15 every two years.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

Florida had it i think thru 1983 that's the year of the sticker on my windshield. They discontinued it then,now the state needs money so there is talk about having it again.
ForingaMex
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by ForingaMex »

Here in our part of Ontario (futher north is different) it used to be anything 20 years and newer had to have the emissions test done every other year. They just changed it to anything 87 and newer has to have it. We only need a safety inspection when we register a vehicle and that is it. Unless its clasified as commercial, than its every year I beleive.
-Jake
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

-02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
-72 Ford F100 LWB 390/C6 (Retired for now till I can rebuild/transform it)
-2000 Ford Windstar (Family Vehicle)
-92 VW Beetle (Mexican)
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

In PA anything 10,000 lb GVW and under from 78 up has to be done once a year but only if it's registered in certain counties. Safety inspection is required on most vehicles. Exemptions to safety inspection are registered antiques, farm equipment, certain special equipment such as drilling rigs and animal drawn vehicles.
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

AlleyCat wrote:In PA anything 10,000 lb GVW and under from 78 up has to be done once a year but only if it's registered in certain counties. Safety inspection is required on most vehicles. Exemptions to safety inspection are registered antiques, farm equipment, certain special equipment such as drilling rigs and animal drawn vehicles.
I would have no issue with a state wide yearly safety inspection. See a lot of people with blown headlights, or missing back windows (On trucks) Or cracked windshield.

Funny you mention the GVW thing. I forgot to add here anything over 8500 gvw is exempt.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

OldRedFord wrote:
I would have no issue with a state wide yearly safety inspection. See a lot of people with blown headlights, or missing back windows (On trucks) Or cracked windshield.

Funny you mention the GVW thing. I forgot to add here anything over 8500 gvw is exempt.
PA safety inspection is state wide. It has been since 1929. Emission testing started in 1983. All cars, motorcycles, trailers and trucks up to 17,000 gvw are inspected once per year. Trucks over 17,000 gvw and all busses are inspected every 6 months. Back before they changed the rules in the mid 80's everything was done every 6 months. The rules have lightened up some but they're still pretty strict.
Clay

Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Out here in AZ it's 66 or older gets you exempt. Although I believe I read if the cost to get it 'repaired' to pass emissions is over a few hundred dollars you get a waiver.
1972 2WD 351 Windsor F-100 - WIP
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

OldRedFord wrote:
AlleyCat wrote:In PA anything 10,000 lb GVW and under from 78 up has to be done once a year but only if it's registered in certain counties. Safety inspection is required on most vehicles. Exemptions to safety inspection are registered antiques, farm equipment, certain special equipment such as drilling rigs and animal drawn vehicles.

Yep, I'm actually a fan of the safety inspection too. I'm glad we have them in MO. It helps keep us all safe from hoosiers that let thier vehicles get so dilapadated that it poses a threat to the rest of us on the road. :2cents:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

Tycho wrote:Out here in AZ it's 66 or older gets you exempt. Although I believe I read if the cost to get it 'repaired' to pass emissions is over a few hundred dollars you get a waiver.
We have a similar rule on how much you have to spend before you can get a waiver. The only thing it doesnt appy to is a catalytic converter. If a catalytic fails you have to replace it regardless of cost and the salvage yards are forbidden from selling used ones. I've seen many vehicles get scrapped due to this nonsense.
Clay

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

fomocoguy wrote:
OldRedFord wrote:I find it really odd that in some of the posts I read on here some of us have to have the sniffer test done on our trucks. Here anything 25 years old or more is exempt, and its only in certain counties.

Up untill a few years ago it was 25 years old and newer around here, and only in the most populated areas. About ten years ago they adopted the "gateway clean air" act and started using dynos that measured your emissions under actual road going conditions, running your vehicle up to 60 mph on a treadmill. That failed miserably after many MANY people had problems with there cars getting damaged, so now only OBDII equipped vehicles are tested (1995 (or is it 96?) and up). Everything still has a safety inspection unless it's registered as historic.
:yt: infact emissions only lists in the mo handbook as St. louis, Kansas city, and think Jefferson City(the state capitol) and various counties list too. if your in a county or city here that requires the sniffer test as stated 95 and newer and the DMV/DPS/Registrant Will notify you on your renewal notice. also they'll tell you if you need the safety insp. i think its odds test in odds and evens test in even meaning a 72 would teast every time the year ends in 0,2,4,6 and so on and odds' test in years ending 1,3,5 and so.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com