Ford Discontinues Mercury Division

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

MaxKlinger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Ford Discontinues Mercury Division

Post by MaxKlinger »

Ford Motor Company has decided to close the doors on the Mercury brand. Another sad day for traditional American brands. Mercury will join Plymouth, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac.

ImageImage

Read more here:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mercury- ... brand.html

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/06/ ... ury-brand/

http://www.autotropolis.com/auto-news/f ... ncoln.html
Tony
'72 F100 LWB 2WD Custom, 360FE, T18
'05 Focus ZX4 ST - 2.3L, 5spd
'83 F150 LWB 2WD, 300-I6, C6 scrapped 2006
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Ford Discontinues Mercury Division

Post by hazelnut »

Sad to mercury being closed down, always thought that murcury would put something out that would outperform the mustang and camaro to gain back market share like it did back in the late sixtys, but i guess thats now going to happin now, wonder how this is going to effect the price of the older mercury collector cars ?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well the name thing is just a name really. but the merc name does carry certain different ways of buildign cars and trucks even though they are basically the same. my guess is they are closing the factories that made merc. so there for they are syaing that they are closing the merc line. really what they coul ddo is to keep using the name and just build for badges as mercurys. but they probably wont do that.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Mercury has always been the mid level luxury between Ford and Lincoln. I don't think there's enough market share for a third brand any more. The '80's capri was the last decent looking merc out there. The '60's were awesome cars though. Very well styled.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
socalcraigster

Post by socalcraigster »

With the exception of the newer Marauder, I can't think of many Mercury cars since the sixties worth owning. Evne though they are closing the entire line, why can't they produce Cougars again?
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mk »

They took the Mercury name off all the dealers here about 2000 when they updated the dealer signs from the rectangle shape to the chrome oval.

mike
Always drink upstream from the herd...

~Will Rogers

Mercury truck ID thread:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=35331
Ford truck model history:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=37394
Using dentside fender liners:
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=35675
Matchbox diecast bumps:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=45618
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

fordman is right, its just a name. Ford has been modular on all its panther platform cars for years now. A crown vic is a grand marquis is a Marauder is a towncar etc etc.

The panther platform Marauder's are one of the best looking sport luxury cars on the road today. But in all reality, its just a spruced up crown vic/ towncar.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
MaxKlinger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MaxKlinger »

In the last 25 years, I think Mercury cars had somewhat nicer styling than their Ford counterparts. Actually, in the last five or so, the Mercs have been in my opinion much better looking cars; where Ford seems to slap horizontal chrome bars on the front of everything, Merc has had nice brushed-aluminum-looking vertical grilles.

Ford hasn't done anything to market the Mercury brand in a while. Around maybe 2006-7 I saw some commercials depicting people in their mid to late 20s (usually really cute single women) driving Mercs. I guess they were marketing them as upscale cars for younger professionals. However, this marketing didn't last too long. The problem is that they only have four products: Grand Marquis, which is and always will be Grandpop's car, Mountaineer, which is an overpriced heavy lumbering beast that has replaced the minivan and is about as cool, Mariner, the small SUV, and Milan, the mid-size sedan. The Milan is really the best product in the pack, a really refined sedan that, in my opinion, blows the Camry and Altima out of the water in comfort, quality, efficiency, and price (my mom has an '07 Milan, with a 5-speed stick). The Mariner isn't bad. But you need to build a division on more than just one or two great cars and a pair of unappealing cars.

Also, I didn't realize that they dropped the Sable AGAIN this year after they tried to do something with the Montego/Five Hundred and replaced them with the new (6th Gen) Taurus.

The other thing I liked about the Mercs is that they've always been a better value. The last three times my parents bought a family car ('86, '96, '07) they looked at (among other things) both the Ford and Mercury versions of the Taurus/Sable and Fusion/Milan. Every time, the Mercury came out to be less expensive! The Fords were over-hyped and often the dealers wouldn't budge on price; the Mercury guys were willing to negotiate. So for the last 25 years, we've had more Mercs than Fords.
Tony
'72 F100 LWB 2WD Custom, 360FE, T18
'05 Focus ZX4 ST - 2.3L, 5spd
'83 F150 LWB 2WD, 300-I6, C6 scrapped 2006
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

They should have offered a Couger, and the Murader still.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

:yt: I love my '89 merc Cougar, and am looking at aquiring an '97 with the 5.0 leather everything cup holders and factory sun/moon roof. Sadly the death of Mercury started when they started to simply rebadge The f-Series for people who wanted a merc truck. Times were great For Brands like Merc, and Fargo and so on, when The big three Had different brand name in places like Canada. I don't remember if this was something that was required by law or just something thwey did.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com