New Use for the Light Switch (LONG post, followed by a Test)

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

New Use for the Light Switch (LONG post, followed by a Test)

Post by jor »

Well, I have done two engine swaps in the last couple of weeks (long story for another post). Anyhow, after I got my old 352 back in and all buttoned up, I started it up, checked the gauges, turn signals and so on. Everything worked fine so I was back in business. Off to work for a couple of days. One evening, after dark, I decided to move the truck. I started it up and pulled the light switch. Yikes! the starter tried to engage the turning flywheel. WTF!!! I turned it off and pulled the light switch knob again - sure enough, the engine turned over just as if I had turned the key to start. I figured I must have wired something on the wrong side of the solenoid or something - no time so I let it be and figured I'd fix it on the weekend.

Next day, I'm off to a local conference. No sweat - it's a beautiful day, early morning, nice day to drive. I slip into the driver's seat and turn the key. The old 352 fires right up as usual but the starter stays engaged and turning! I quickly turn it off but THE DAMN THING KEEPS RUNNING WITH THE STARTER ENGAGED. I take the key out. No change! I pop the clutch and kill the engine. It keeps trying to start. I put in the clutch and IT STARTS RIGHT BACK UP with the starter engaged and grinding away. I kill it again, make a mad dash for the garage, grab a half inch open end, pop the hood and pull the negative cable.

Whew! No smoke. I feel very lucky that my truck is not on fire.

So, here's the test: What caused it?
jor
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: New Use for the Light Switch (LONG post, followed by a T

Post by flyboy2610 »

The starter. :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

jor, you sure don't have the easy ones do you? Ok, was that the first time you used the headlight switch? Sounds like some wires are crossed or shorting against each other. The continuous starting could very well be be related to it or other problems. When I've had that problem, it always turned out to be a stuck solenoid. Hint, if it ever does that again try turning the key back to the start position a couple times. Sometimes reenergizing it will help it to release.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

ANSWER

OK, I did fix the problem that morning. It was one of two things and I believe it was the latter.

1. I have been having a problem with packrats. Every night they have been hauling all of their s**t into my hood area (cactus, leaves, whatever) and chowing down. I noted that morning that several wires were bare. They didn't look like the were burned so they may have been a packrat's culinary delight.

2. When I put the 352 back in I forgot to connect a ground wire from the engine to the firewall. I'm thinking this is it.

You're right, 68 - no easy ones for me! But what the heck; keeps it interesting and also keeps me humble. Thanks.
jor