question on bumpers

Moderator: FORDification

edmccloughloch

question on bumpers

Post by edmccloughloch »

I have to make a desicion about my front and rear bumpers. I'm keeping the rear because its in nice shape and my tow hitch is welded to it. Here's the question though- what color was it originally painted? Mine is currently gray...truck was originally and still is blue and white. Also, what would you suggest between having the paint guy paint it or having it powdercoated?

On the front bumper, I am replacing it because it is bent up around where the bumper mounts. I see this on every truck like mine and was told that it is becauase the mounting locations are too far apart....what have you done to keep the bumper from bending....I would love a suggestion on how to rig up the mounting brackets...
The Landlord: "Are you guys starting an automobile repair shop out of my house or something?"

"No, these are all our cars."

"The three of you have eleven cars???"
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: question on bumpers

Post by FORDification »

The front bumpers aren't bent because the mounting points (the frame rails) are too far apart.....heck, the frame rail spacing on these trucks is closer together than 98% of all other trucks. If anything, they're too close together! This means that there's more bumper sticking out on each side of the frame, and without any supports out there on the ends, it really doesn't take a lot to tweak them, especially if someone is using their truck to push another vehicle and doesn't keep it centered on the bumper. Once the pressure on the bumper is to the outside of the mounting points (the frame rails), it will get bent back at that point.

...and there really isn't much you can do about it, unless you want to fabricate some supports, which would extend out at an angle from the front frame rails to the ends of the bumper. That, and to not use the front bumper to push other vehicles. If you think you're going to be needing to do that, then plan accordingly and either make sure you keep the pushed vehicle dead center on your truck, or get an heavy-duty aftermarket bumper which can stand up to the abuse.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Ed,...on my rear bumper,I primed it with a good primer,and used SEM Bumper Coater(easy color to remember),followed by a good clearcoat...I was extremely pleased with the results....Get the stuff from an auto paint store....better quality than the brands at Auto Zone...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I could rent you my front one? helper not included. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
edmccloughloch

Post by edmccloughloch »

I may have to get something pretty heavy duty then....and a grille guard....I like pushing things around with the front of the truck.:D I'll probably be a little more cautious after getting it painted, though.
The Landlord: "Are you guys starting an automobile repair shop out of my house or something?"

"No, these are all our cars."

"The three of you have eleven cars???"