Tool repair / general customer service rant.

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Tool repair / general customer service rant.

Post by fitzwell »

DuckRyder wrote:I've never had much of a problem getting them to replace broken stuff, there was the one incident with the Volkswagen rear brakes, the 6 foot piece of pipe and the (4) 1/2 inch drive ratchets in one day... but...

It seems that most of the Craftsman stuff is made by Danaher who owns MatCo, Allen, KD and GearWrench. I understand that they also make the Kobalt stuff after Lowe's had a big falling out with SnapOn (apparently they wanted the SnapOn logo on Kobalt), Stanley makes the Home Depot Husky brand.

So as I understand it the big 3 are:

Stanley (MAC, Pôrto, Fa Com, SK, Etc.)
Danaher ( MatCo, Allen, KD and GearWrench, Etc.)
SnapOn (SnapOn/Bluepoint)

At least that is what I'm coming up with on the ErrorNet...

The main thing I never liked about Craftsman is the texture on the wrenches makes them hard to clean, the MAC is polished but the edges are sharper, I still like the MAC better than Craftsman's standard line.

Danaher also manufactures the 1st line Napa hand tools. Not bad stuff, but the screwdrivers are junk.

Duck, the texture on the wrenches is why i like my craftsmans'. Much easier to hang onto when the hands are a bit oily. :2cents:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

"If for any reason your Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state." :thup:
Not included: This excludes calipers, tape measures and Tourqe wrenches. (they dont tell you this at the time of sale.) :(
Why do I know this :? I have the same wrench and the same problem.
I have allot of older Craftsman tools I am happy with but not to fond of the newer stuff. :2cents:

I think Staley made Craftsman tools untill the 80's?
Stanley also ownes Mac, Proto, Ingersole Rand, Black n Decker, Black Hawk, Huskey and few more cant remember them all now.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

I had the same thing happen to mine, while working at a remote site and ended up causing a return trip and a whole pile of headaches. needless to say i threw it in the dumpster and bought a snap on.
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Results of not torquing correctly...

Press was down for over three days at $1200/hr. because someone didn't torque the knife block in correctly and it came out at 2900ft/min.

It made a very loud bang :eek:

The knife block swiped that 5" stone nip out of the way and shattered the knife cylinder bearing box when it ran into the counterknife block. Bottom pic shows how far the knife block bent when it crashed.

Jamie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Well, I never updated this, but a few weeks after I bought one of the Kobalts, I was using it Thursday for about the second time and the lock and torque ring came apart.

The girl at Lowe's took one look at it and said "Go get another one" a grand total of 10 minutes to replace it with no questions asked.

Now you guys are probably thinking I'm pretty hard on torque wrenches, but really I'm not, I think this stuff is just junk...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

My craftsman torque wrench is over 30 yrs old. Always works fine as of all my other craftsman tools. Of course they are all oldies.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8