New Mig

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

New Mig

Post by Mancar1 »

Thought I would post a pic. of my new welder. :hd: I know it is old hat to some of you, but I'm stoked. :woohoo: 1st one I have ever owned. :D Like I said My wife made my mind up for me on what one to get. (She went and got it for me.) 8) Bless her heart. :love:

My thanks to all who gave me advice on the matter :thup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: New Mig

Post by Caseys71 »

8), Have fun with the new welder! Be aware that the more time you spend with that welding gun in your hand the more things you will find yourself welding up! Welding is pretty addicting :lol:. Only other words of advice are 1: Don't catch yourself on fire! :wink: (First piece of advice I got :lol:, luckily I haven't yet) and 2: Good first project to get used to dialing in the welder would be to make a welding cart for it :thup:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

Congrats on the welder now you can be a weldor.

Caseys71 gave you some good advice about not catching on fire :lol: and building a welding cart. I would add get some good protective gear, a can of anti splatter spray for your welding gun and a pair of mig pliers. Then have fun.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

Caseys71 wrote:8), Have fun with the new welder! Be aware that the more time you spend with that welding gun in your hand the more things you will find yourself welding up! Welding is pretty addicting :lol:. Only other words of advice are 1: Don't catch yourself on fire! :wink: (First piece of advice I got :lol:, luckily I haven't yet) and 2: Good first project to get used to dialing in the welder would be to make a welding cart for it :thup:.
kind of like a chain saw. you cut down one tree in your yard and thn get the cuttign fever. the next thing you know your half way down the street and theres no trees in site all the way back to your house. then you have alot of brush to pick up.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

fordman wrote:
Caseys71 wrote:8), Have fun with the new welder! Be aware that the more time you spend with that welding gun in your hand the more things you will find yourself welding up! Welding is pretty addicting :lol:. Only other words of advice are 1: Don't catch yourself on fire! :wink: (First piece of advice I got :lol:, luckily I haven't yet) and 2: Good first project to get used to dialing in the welder would be to make a welding cart for it :thup:.
kind of like a chain saw. you cut down one tree in your yard and thn get the cuttign fever. the next thing you know your half way down the street and theres no trees in site all the way back to your house. then you have alot of brush to pick up.
Not to mention some hacked off neighbors!! :lol: :lol:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
71highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71highboy »

they do make doing body repairs a lot easier :2cents:
Jarred Hodges
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Jarred Hodges »

fordman wrote:
funniest thing I have heard in a long time
1971 F-100 swb 401 fe , edelbrock intake, cam, valve covers, longtube headers with twin 2.5 inch exhaust, aluminum wheels.
1965 Mustang 350 glide 7.45 at 90mph
1972 maverick 460 swap in progress
2002 z28 a few bolt ons
BlueOvalDave

Post by BlueOvalDave »

happy for you.

Your going to find it's one of the best tools you'll ever own. Now, if you need something that you would have previously shade treed, you'll be able to fabricate! I say that because that's what i used to do and now when I look back at some of the junk repairs I did i can only shake my head at my own foolishness.

If you do use weld thru primer, remember to turn the heat up a bit. Also any little rust on your pieces to be joined will cause big problems.

And I've found lots of welding sites on-line, where I just read the threads and try to learn. Some of the welders out there are artisans, unbelievable work.

have fun :thup:
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

I regret not taking the opportunities I had to learn in the Navy. There are some of the finest welders in that outfit. That said, I am looking forward to it and I will do fine. Practice and safety, practice and safety. :thup: Two words that have served me well.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

Now some real fun begins Mancar1
jbohall001

Post by jbohall001 »

Excellent machine! I have always liked Lincoln welders, I have one myself. And like other have said, your first project should be a cart because those welders get heavy :)
Vi hilser til Day
Vi hilser sønner Day
Vi hilser the Night og hennes døtre
Se på oss nå, med myke og ømme øyne
Velsign oss som sitter her
Vi hilser gudene
Vi hilser på gudinnene
Hilsen til deg; hellige Earth
Gi oss en gave av kunnskap og visdom
og la oss få hender som kan helbrede.