Another (long) day at the shop (& project update page)

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Another (long) day at the shop (& project update page)

Post by FORDification »

I spent the whole day at the shop again today...well, until about 6PM, when I had to come home to watch the boys while my wife went to work. I was really hoping to get the interior floorpans and the backsides of the front fenders coated with POR-15 today, but I had a big problem with a fender that really set me back. Anyway, I posted a new personal project update page with all the details (and a BUNCH of pics), which is actually a compilation of everything I've been doing over the past three weeks. Today's entry is down at the bottom of the page:

http://www.fordification.com/my67-p48.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Another (long) day at the shop (& project update pag

Post by dotcentral »

Funny the 71 fender doesn't line up. Did you notice anything unusual when taking it off the donor truck?
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

No, but then again I really wasn't looking. I always figured all '67-'72 front fenders were identical.

Incidentally, the fender came from THIS TRUCK, shown on PAGE 14.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Your right, why would they be different? just one of those things.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one question i had was after you have put the por behind the fender how will the body putty react when trying to patch the hole that is backed with por ? will it adhere just fine to the por or will it reject it after awhile. does the por set up like steel or is it flexable during the years as it gets older.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Whoops....sorry fordman, must have missed your post.

To be honest with you, I'm not sure how this will go. The POR-Putty is not flexible....it dries rock-hard. It can be sanded and topcoated. Actually, the instructions don't even say anything about sanding....it just says after it dries it can be topcoated...but I will sand it a bit just to roughen it up before using a thin coat of standard body filler on the front side. I've never used this stuff before, so it's gonna be a learning experience. I guess time will tell. :D

Spent a few hours at the shop tonight and get everything but the cab floors coated with POR-15, and then everything got several coats of Krylon semi-flat when the POR-15 was tacky. Everything actually looks pretty darned good, I think! Here's a shot of the backside of the fenders:

....and here's a shot of the finished battery tray. It was pitted up pretty good, but I sandblasted it, gave it several thin coats of POR-15 and then 4-5 coats of Krylon, and I think it turned out pretty good. Most of the pits are in the bottom of the tray, and will be mostly hidden by a battery when it's installed. I considered just replacing it, but I really wanted to give the POR-15 a try on something like this. I'll go ahead and install this for now, but it's possible that I might just go with a new tray sometime in the future.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Looking good
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Real good. That tray can go in my truck any time...well, you know, IF I had one, it could.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree