Harbor freight tools

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

cozadlance2
Preferred User
Preferred User

Harbor freight tools

Post by cozadlance2 »

Coil spring compressor. Harbor freight. Is it safe?
I am an outspoken person. I will not be quiet to make you happy.
Racer Z

Re: Harbor freight tools

Post by Racer Z »

I've bought some tools from Harbor Freight. Like any other tools depot, use good judgment.
cozadlance2
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cozadlance2 »

Thanks. I was just a bit concerned and hoped someone had tried one and lived to tell. :hmm:
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

cozadlance2
Coil spring compressors are kinda dangerous as is. Im not sure if it realy maters who makes them. :wink: Ive used several things from hf in the past and had very good luck. I know there hardware can sometimes be a little crappy so def check the quality of the nuts and replace them if they are not a decent grade.

I remember the first time I used there jack stands. I slid under my truck like I was sticking my finger into a mouse trap. Now I dont even think about it.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

I have experinced a total failure with one of thier spring compressors replacing the front springs on a 289 '66 fairlane.
I got lucky as all I got was 6 stiches in my face,damn near lost two fingers.
The next time I made my own using 2 sticks of 3/4" grade 8 allthread.
I have had good results with other H-F tools,Inspect thier tools before you buy.
Steve.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

A coil spring compressor is one of those tools you use maybe 3 times in your life? It also falls in that area of tools you can whip up with stuff laying around and have something better than what you can buy.

A slick way to do it on a 65-66 stang is using a hollow enerpac ram in the engine bay with some allthread, plywood donuts to keep everything centered and a couple thick steel plates.

I shouldn't have mentioned the hollow rams. Now you're all going realize how cool they are and snatch them up when there's a good deal on one.

Actually, Lance, I"m not too far south of PDX. I think I have a several coil spring compressors that aren't designed by chinese to kill americans working on thier cars. If you want to borrow one you're welcome to, typical tool borrowing disclaimers apply.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
cozadlance2
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cozadlance2 »

Awesome. Thanks. I have bushings to do this summer.
71highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71highboy »

check your local auto parts houses most of them have a tool that you can rent or use for free :2cents:
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

averagef250 wrote:A coil spring compressor is one of those tools you use maybe 3 times in your life? It also falls in that area of tools you can whip up with stuff laying around and have something better than what you can buy.

A slick way to do it on a 65-66 stang is using a hollow enerpac ram in the engine bay with some allthread, plywood donuts to keep everything centered and a couple thick steel plates.

I shouldn't have mentioned the hollow rams. Now you're all going realize how cool they are and snatch them up when there's a good deal on one.

Actually, Lance, I"m not too far south of PDX. I think I have a several coil spring compressors that aren't designed by chinese to kill americans working on thier cars. If you want to borrow one you're welcome to, typical tool borrowing disclaimers apply.
There is actually a specialized tool to pull the coils from Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes and the like. Neither 'conventional' coil spring compressors or strut compressors will work, safely. They will all work unsafely though.....

This version uses the upper shock tower hole as the access point for a hunk of all thread that bolts to the lower shock mount, you compress the spring up, remove the guts of the suspension, then the spring as you relieve the compression. Replace parts, reassemble.

http://fomoco.phpbbnow.com/viewtopic.php?p=50943

I had (bad) experience with my Mustang and Falcon when I tried to remove the springs. succeeded getting one off without injury, but no way could I get it back on. Bought the tool off of ebay (could have made it easily, but wanted the convenience) and ten minutes later the spring was in. Replaced the entire LF suspension in 1/10th the time that I had wrestling with the RF side...
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.