Engine lifts

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Engine lifts

Post by Whateverman »

here's a scary one I was unfortunate enough to witness (about 8yrs ago)that i wouldn't advise ANYONE to attempt:
A perma-stoned idiot friend of mine blew the engine in his celica,so he got me to pick up the new motor and wanted me to give him a hand - no worries right?
So i get there,and hes got his car under a tree & his old motor on the ground next to it...
so the car has to be pushed outta the way so we can unload the new motor & I'm like "why under the tree man,you got a garage " and he points up to the winch off his uncle's boat trailer which he has NAILED (!?!)to a 2x4 that he spiked to a branch!!!
Yeah... so after he demonstrated how this abortion worked as he unloaded the motor from my truck(thankfully without killing anyone and with a whole whack of "ping,ping,ping" as the cable was getting ready to snap and cracking and groaning noises from the poor ol' tree) I decided not to be witness to anymore foolishness gave him a nasty talking to and left
.... he actually managed to install that engine without dying....
angels watch over drunkards and fools i guess
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
cheek
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cheek »

Before I got my crane, I just used my old mans excavator lol! Worked pretty well.
1970 Ford F100 351C FMX Daily
1972/3 Ford F100 Project
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Instead of lifting the engine out of the truck why dont you lift the whole truck and drop everything but the engine? :lol: Sorry. Kinda funny but in some cars they drop the engine our from the bottom. I agree a cherry picker is the way to go. I got mine on Craigslist for $50 and I use it for a lot of things I need to unload out of my truck.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
fordchris47

Post by fordchris47 »

use a forklift thats what i did, unfortunatly the fork extensions spidered the hell out of my windshield but thats cause i was by myself and looking at the motor mounts and not the windshield (live and learn)
72' f100, 390, performer rpm intake, performer rpm heads, summit cam 276 dur 533 lift, holley 750, flotech headers, c6, 350 rear end, electronic ignition and msd box.
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

BobbyFord wrote:Just my :2cents: here but when you improvise and "manufacture" tools to use in place of the proper tool it ALWAYS takes longer and greatly increases the chance of personal injury. It's always best and safest to use the correct tool for the job. You are better off renting a cherry picker.
:yt:
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

You DON'T do this:

1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

four strong arms ,a long 1 1/2 " to 2" x 8' pipe and chain, yes it works.... but I was 20 yrs. younger when I did it... :lol:
klich

Post by klich »

I bolted a steel T-Bar across three ceiling joists in the garage ceiling and pulled a few engines. For a once in a while thing, renting goes a long way.