FE clutch fan installation: Hayden 2710 and Derale 17118.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: FE clutch fan installation: Hayden 2710 and Derale 17118.

Post by robroy »

Good morning Paul, thanks for writing!
390Nut wrote:One very good option for extending the fan towards the radiator, is to take a stock fan spacer and cross cut it as thick as you need it. It is solid with the holes already where you need them. A little deburr here and there, maybe polish it up to match those pulleys, and you're in business. :thup:
That's a great idea! I guess there are enough of those spacers floating around to keep me from feeling guilty over sacrificing one.

I think I'd need to hire a shop to do the cutting though, since my hacksaw might not yield a perfectly straight, mirror-like surface. :lol:

Thanks for that great idea Paul!
Robroy
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I'd run it as is and if it gives you any grief (which I seriously doubt it will) I'd consider spacing the radiator 1/2" closer to the engine with a stack of washers or a simple aluminum block at each bolt hole. That way there is no balance or possibly vibration issues at the pump.

Looks like your about to start enjoying the truck vs. work on it all the time. :)
Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day,

Here's a video of the first ever start with the new clutch fan installed. There's a lot of other noise in the video (including some belt slippage), but I figured it might be of interest to others considering this modification nonetheless.

Medium Quality H.264 (10MB) Low Quality WMV (26MB)

Robroy
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!

Always look forward to Robroy's videos!!!!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Gotta love a RobRoy thread...

Tons of information.

So, i found a loose bade on my fan and decided to replace it with a Hayden Derale combo just like RobRoy.

The Clutch is now "Assembled in Mexico"

Looks like a fine piece though.

Derale (which took months to get BTW) is made in either China or USA <shrug> and came pre-scratched

Also looks like a nice piece.

Together.

I had issues finding fine thread bolts locally and ordering in from McMaster Carr was expensive because of quantity. I ended up just using ARP, I used .56 on the fan to clutch and 1,00 on the clutch to WP. Like RobRoy I went with thread locker vs locknuts

I determined 1.000" by removing the spader and fan and measuring the thread which extended fro tech assembly and adding the flange thickness. .75 would likely have worked just as well.

HTH Someone.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper