points to duraspark

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
1968_ONEHUN

points to duraspark

Post by 1968_ONEHUN »

the 68 has a 6cyl from a 1979.when the motor was changed,the motor was converted to points system,from duraspark. how would I go about hooking up the wiring from the coil to convert back.etc.etc.
1968 F-100 Custom Cab
300 6cyl 4spd

If it ain't broke,what the hell, fix it anyways !
lobuck76

re: points to duraspark

Post by lobuck76 »

There is some good stuff on duraspark wiring on the old website.
Maybe one of the more computer savy guys can post a link. :dk:
'71 F-100
1968_ONEHUN

re: points to electronic ignition

Post by 1968_ONEHUN »

Someone must have done this swap ???????Whats involved?????
1968 F-100 Custom Cab
300 6cyl 4spd

bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

Never done it but here are some links

This one has the wiring diagram for the durspark

http://groups.msn.com/slick60sfordfseri ... agram.msnw

And these discuss it

http://fordsixparts.com/Duraspark%20II.htm

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/dura ... aspark.htm
Kep

1972 F250 Da Big Ugly Man TruckDa BUMT
1961 F100 Stepside (Father/Daughter Project)UnNamed
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Something just dawned on me, that I had forgot about...This would apply also to the one looking for charging system diagrams...On autozones "pretty sure it was autozone, anyway.." main website, they have a diagram lookup. As far as I remember, it has diagrams for dang near any system, or year. I can't remember the earliest year they support though...I do remember the dynaspark, etc diagrams being there. So if you had a ?? year truck and wanted to wire something the original way, they should have the diagram.
I haven't checked it in a while though...MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I did my 72 300 about 20 years ago so I may not remember it all. First you will need to get the wire connectors from a donor truck. The colors from the dist. to the blue grommet box should be consistant. That will be the three wire one, I believe. On the 4 wire connector from the box, the red is keyed hot. You can find a connector in the harness that has the power source for key on. I don't remember which wire it is so use your test light to find it and if you can't find one there are two key on power source places on the fuse block that spade connectors will slide onto. The white wire is the cranking power supply. Connect it to the starter side of the starter solenoid. Use your old hot lead to the coil but you will also need a wire from the "I" small terminal on the solenoid to the coil pos. This is to provide full battery voltage for cold starting. The wire from the ignition switch to the coil + is a resistor wire and with only it as a power source they start hard in cold weather.
Now is where my senility comes in beacause I can't remember which of the two remaining wires from the box goes to the coil and which is ground but if you have everything else hooked up you can tell by testing with your test light while cranking and hook the one that flashes your test light to the - or dist. side of the coil. The other should be a ground I believe. Make sure you have the box grounded before cranking it without the grounf wire grounded, just to be on the safe side.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
1968_ONEHUN

Post by 1968_ONEHUN »

thanks willowbilly.I just read a new post on the petronix dist.what is it,and where can I get it?how easy is this to convert???
1968 F-100 Custom Cab
300 6cyl 4spd

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I haven't done one but I guess it is real simple and they cost less than $100. I'm not sure where you can get one but I know they aren't hard to find. Check with Summits or one of the big catalogs.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.