Bed Removal

Moderator: FORDification

RandyBee1

Bed Removal

Post by RandyBee1 »

I'm in the process of taking the bed of my 73 F100. All the nuts securing the bed to the frame have been removed. The 2 bolts that remain have Phillips screw heads on them. What's the easiest way to remove these. A big screwdriver just aint' gonna get it!

Randy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

get one of those impact drivers. they are a big nut driver that will hold screwdriver bits. then you can hit the bottom of them with a hammer and the gear inside of them give a twist to the screws your working on. they have a number 3 phillips that come with them as well as three other bits. i think they cost 10.00
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Bed Removal

Post by bluef250 »

What resources do you have? Do you want to save the hardware? I used a hand impact tool to tighten Phillips heads. Have used an electric impact tool to remove others. Anything to give a sudden impact. I have soaked rusted, hard to remove nuts with penetrating oil for a week and then worked them off. First tightening, then loosening the nuts. If bad, you could weld 1/2 nut on top and use racket. For other ideas do a search for removing rusted nuts.
RandyBee1

re: Bed Removal

Post by RandyBee1 »

Thanks, I was planning on using a hand impact tool but thought there's gotta be a better way! The bolts, by the way have been soaking for 3 days now in PB Blaster!
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

same way I take off frame rivets.
drill a hole directly thru the head into the shank, then use a chisel (or a larger drill bit!)
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!