Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

marvin2
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Grinder...Be Careful!!!

Post by marvin2 »

Just to re-state the obvious...

I almost seriously injured myself today working with a cut-off wheel on the grinder. I had taken off the screw-in side handle and was working with the grinder fairly close to my head. The wheel caught hold causing the grinder to shoot out of my hands, and fly back at my face. Luckily I deflected it fast enough for it to only scrape across my nose. My heart nearly stopped when I realized how lucky I was.

Just another of the many, many grinder scare stories on this site. Be smart...and be careful!!!!
1970 F100 "Marvin 2" - Crown Vic IFS, 302, C4 (work in progress)
1970 F250 "Leonard" - 302, C6 (project in waiting)
1971 F100 "Walt" - 302, 3-speed on the column (Sunday driver)
2004 Mustang GT "Horse With No Name" - 4.6L, 5 speed (Retired daily driver / Friday driver)
sillbeer

Re: Grinder...Be Careful!!!

Post by sillbeer »

I was staying with a buddy about 5 years back and this same thing happened to him. It was my grinder and I warned him of the potential danger. I came home from work and there was blood in the garage and drive way where he was running around. A friend drove him to the hospital where I met up with them. He cut his nose from the side and went across the bridge of his nose and through the center section. His nose was hanging on by the outside skin on the right nostril. He also cut through his upper lip and nicked his front teeth. I had to leave his side when the doctor folded his nose over on his cheek and started jabbing needles in there. I was almost out for the count when I saw that. :zz: :zz: :zz: I waited outside his room till it was over. I also had googles and a face shield but he didn't bother. He calles it the nose grinder.

-Destin
CNM67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CNM67 »

A few years back pops was using a cut off wheel to clean up a weld (he didnt have a grinding wheel) but is a 30 yr union ironworker who should have known better almost cut his thumb off when the wheel jumped and ran across his thumb. Scary stuff man but he just told me he'd be dump for me and I should learn from his F up's.
The iron never lies and 200 pounds is always 200 pounds
cheek
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cheek »

Marvin, I had a very similar thing happen to me but it kicked back from jamming in two pieces of unsupported steel (facepalm) and now I got scars on my wrist that look kinda awkard. Could of been alot worse though :/
1970 Ford F100 351C FMX Daily
1972/3 Ford F100 Project
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

About a year and a half ago I was removing the rotten transom from a fiberglass boat and the tool that worked best was a wheel with a chainsaw blade on it!!
The scariest tool I have ever used,it worked like a champ but I handled it like a rattlesnake
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Bumpside Collector
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bumpside Collector »

Man that is scary! One more reason for me to wear my face shield. Where I work safety is a big deal so I have taken that idea home and changed a lot of the things I used to do to a safer way. I still do stupid stuff from time to time though!
CHEESE?!?

Running:
2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback
2007 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4.6 Auto
1972 F-350 Flatbed 360 2V 4 speed

Not Running:
1967 F-100 Ranger Short Bed
1970 F-100 Ranger Long Bed
1972 F-100 Ranger XLT long Bed
1972 F-350 Really long dump flatbed parts truck
1981 F-250 Custom Long Bed (Parting out now)
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

I think almost everyone has a "Durhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" moment with grinders at some point or another. just the ones who are a bit slower have multiple moments!
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
JG F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JG F100 »

The grinder especially with a cutoff wheel is one those tools you have to respect, my dad slit the top of his hand when a co-worker tripped over the cord, he was lucky but out of work for weeks. BTW the Dewalt grider I have has the ability to lock the trigger in place, something they dont allow in his shop and something I always think of when I push that trigger.
72 F100 - SWB conversion w/05 crown vic IFS, 8.8 rear w/disc, 20s, 360FE w/overdrive
Project Page: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=37897
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

When I was younger, I was fearless (which sometimes = stupid) :D . I have had metal removed from my eye 3 times (was even wearing safety glasses). Now I wear safety goggles or shield.
I breezed an O/A cutting torch across my hand without gloves on once, too :doh: . Now I wear my welding gloves. I also wear fabricator gloves when doing metal work. PPE is very important and must never be forgotten; it only takes once for it to be permanent.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I will not have a grinder with a slide switch. If you drop that thing it will go in any direction... including YOURS! My Milwaukee grinder has a paddle switch on the bottom, it must be held in by hand pressure and has a safety lock that must be disengaged to operate the paddle switch. If I drop it it shuts off. I think that is much safer than a slide switch.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
STROKER69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by STROKER69 »

Also use the hearing protection when grinding, maybe you want have to listen to all this ringing I hear and have to have a fan running at night to cover up some of that ringing so I can sleep. :thup:
Montana71-F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Montana71-F100 »

I use hearing protection too. A former co-worker showed me a great way to make ear plugs. Bunch up a square of toilet paper, wet it, shape it into a dull point and put it in your ear.
sillbeer

Post by sillbeer »

An advantage to not wearing hearing protection is you don't always hear what your wife has to say. 8)

-Destin
bindernut

Post by bindernut »

Both my 4 1/2" Makita's have trigger locks, but if I drop them they still shut off. (Lock in your trigger lock and hold it 2" above a hard surface, drop it.... they should pop off.) That doesn't mean I'd test the drop method on my face, always, always full face shield for anything above me (I'm plenty ugly enough as it is :shh: ) That said, trigger locks are a must have for me, I've spent full days doing nothing but thin wheeling and grinding, PIA holding a paddle that long...my grinders probably average 60-70 hrs a week...not to mention some of the positions we end up in and having to run them one handed. Sometimes you're 30-40+ft up sitting on a beam and holding onto the piece your cutting with the free hand. Couple of months ago we had a guy run his across the back of his own hand... severed tendons and had to have some surgery to chase them. (In the middle of cutting some unistrut he decided it was a good time to look up and talk to someone. go figure :roll: ) He didn't have a trigger lock either. I think if you figure on what could happen before you pull that trigger and pay attention you'll be that much less apt to be suprised. To be honest, I feel I have more control/touch with the trigger lock on. And thus more precise cuts/cleanups. one hand holds the weight and the other guides...all the mines I work in outlawed them long ago, it's an MSHA thing...of course the rule makers don't spend much time running one. matter of choice if you ask me. Some spot's they're safer, some spots (above you) not the safest. I figure them alot like guns. A gun in itself is not dangerous... it usually come down to how it's handled :2cents:
1971 f100 CS 360/AT
1970 f100 C 302/4spd
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-6153
1969 IH Scout 800 304/AT

"ya know, you're about as useful as Amish tech support."

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

Murphy lives in my shop and takes advantage of any opportunity he can find.

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.