1967 Crew Cab and a 08 Grand Marquis IFS SWAP

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

The Big Bear

Re: 1967 Crew Cab and a 08 Grand Marquis IFS SWAP

Post by The Big Bear »

HELP!!! WINDSHIELD ARMS KICKING MY BUTT!!!

Okay I worked more on completely gutting the entire Cab---stripped everyting out and now I am down to just the shell and I am going to save up and get it dipped in Central Cal to kill all the rust.

I need some help---How do you get the windshield wiper arms off the shaft? The only thing I have left is to get the arms off so I can pull the motor and arms from under the dask. I pulled the pin out away fromt he shaft but they will still not come off??

Is their a trick?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for tommorow.
Be grateful for every day :fr:
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

If you look closely there is a clip or lip that is under the shaft head. You can pry that out a bit and it should come off. Since you are getting it dipped a screwdriver under the round end prying upward while using the arm on the other end rocking it back and forth between the 2.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Thanks for the reply and all of the killer things you have done to your truck keeps me motivated to keep going on mine.

I pulled the little clips all the way out---just did not think to pry with the screwdriver so I will try it and see what happens. I should be able to get a few things done the next few days I have off and no one to bother me!! Will take pictures and try the posting thing again.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Great! I have been patiently waiting for pics. I am almost ready to drive my truck again. The engine swap is almost complete.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Here we go,
_DSC0028 by am-bear, on Flickr

Spent half the day and completely stripped the Cab so it can be dipped.
_DSC0027 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0025 by am-bear, on Flickr

Then I completed the extra boxing of the front end, should add the extra strength.
_DSC0005 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0006 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0004 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0003 by am-bear, on Flickr

Then cleaned up to this.
_DSC0009 by am-bear, on Flickr

Rolled the front clip back in-----third time I have done this, it is so easy and takes less than a hour total. For anyone thinking of this Crown Vic or Grand Marquis swap I just set the Transmission on a Dolly I have see the blue carpet and then I roll the whole damn clip around by myself and it is damn comical to say the least. My driveway is on a steep hill that goes out onto a road and if the damn thing gets away from me it will not be funny. I use blocks and roll it into place by simply spinning the tires to make it go where I want it. Hell, my back does not even hurt. I just line it up and it rolls between the frame rails then I drop the rails down onto the clip and bolt her up!!
_DSC0026 by am-bear, on Flickr

Then I went to work on the Rear end and mocked up the Shock tabs and tried to get the Pinion Angle right?? I bet someone has some really coolway to get the correct Pinion Angle but I just eyeballed it and after I et everything mocked up and weight on it I will adjust the shocks if need be.
_DSC0011 by am-bear, on Flickr

No Shocks then Shocks.
_DSC0017 by am-bear, on Flickr

Then I jumped to the Rear Gas tank fob using a Mustang Gas tank, I copied BobyFords set up----Thanks Man!!!! No problems but a bunch of work----BobyFord makes it look quick and easy and believe me the guy is a pro. Mine is starting okay but I had a bunch of messed up frame rails to fill hole in---I had a Untility Bed on it at the start and they havked parts of the frame.
_DSC0012 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0013 by am-bear, on Flickr

Two Hours later and this after working on the Damn Rivets!!!
_DSC0015 by am-bear, on Flickr

All I did was try and Copy from BobyFords photos the best I could,
_DSC0016 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0019 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0022 by am-bear, on Flickr
_DSC0023 by am-bear, on Flickr

Finished except for the Bed Nuts for the Bed Bolts welded in place. I have not mocked up the Short bed I got for it yet, so I will wait until then to Drill and weld them in place.
_DSC0024 by am-bear, on Flickr

Overall a great couple of days and I figured out a major issue I was having with my welder, I am not a pro welder as you can tell my beads were flat out nasty---then I went to West Air and the guy set me straight on my settings and even let me practice on a machine he had like mine and basically when I was fabbing the mounts I had the wrong wire and the wrong settings for the thick steel I was using!!!

So with the new settings and some sheilded wire now I am getting way better with my welding and will not be wasting so much time trying to clean up my crap welds. What a difference a simple turn of the button made on my machine and a step up to bigger wire.035.

Anyways for anyone out there thinking of posting or trying something like this, just look at my setup---I do not have a shop I am doing it next to my house on unlevel ground and EVERYONE on the site has been nothing but helpful and given me advice that comes from years of experience and saves you time and money.

So THANKS again to everyone who has been posting and offering advice I appreciate it---no one has been critical yet and it makes a difference when your still learning.
Last edited by The Big Bear on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Argh, I can't remember crap!!!! Now I forgot how to do the pictures from my Flicker account and my pictures did not upload.

Guess I have to go back and see what I am doing wrong again---I suck at this computer picture posting!

I figured it out as you can tell above and went back and edited it.
Last edited by The Big Bear on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Too late my kid needs the computer for his Homework.

I will try to figure out the picture thing again tomorow. Damn got some good photos and got a lot done.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

Can't wait to see some progress!
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I got some of the pictures to come up but OMFG does flicker suck... At least with photobucket your file name stays in your html address.

I clicked share, BBcode, 640 size, right click to copy and then paste on this thread.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I bet someone has some really coolway to get the correct Pinion Angle but I just eyeballed it and after I et everything mocked up and weight on it I will adjust the shcoks if need be.
Yep, here it is:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/leafs ... erches.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Thanks Basketcase, I figured it was somewhere. I noticed he said it was for Cars and not trucks and I also thinking that since I am dropping the truck I would think that the angle would need to be more than 5 degrees? Anyways I will have to blow everything apart after I am all done since I am going to get everything blasted then paint it. Ilearned the hard way a long time ago about trying to finish parts and assemble as you go---too many mistakes and you end up re-painting stuff all the time. Now I just clean up any areas I can't get to by spot blasting then primer and spray, then mock it up.

I noticed your from Chattanooga, I grew up in Ellijay and worked in Dalton at the Carpet Mill for a year before I joined the Marine Corps and ended up out here in San Diego. I still have a house and some property with my Dad and go home once a year or more to visit. My wifes sister lives in Cookeville and we used to do the drive through Soddy Daisy to get there---beautiful country.
diehardfordtruck

Post by diehardfordtruck »

Hurry and get this thing done and drive it to Ellijay so we can see it, maybe bring it to the show at the apple festival. Great work, looking good.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Progress? I want more pics!
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Sorry Guys been so busy with work and other family projects have not had time to to play----still I have decided to get everything dipped it's just hard to find a place in CA that will dip and get rid of all the rust. I have some major rust in a bunch of hidden areas and I just don't want to deal with them re-surfacing later. On a positive note it has given me a lot more time to research some ideas I have had and I am going to stick with the 4.6 and run it until it dies maybe throw some juice in it for fun. I have some fun and interesting ideas that I have been researching---they will be cool when I get them started and I think others will jump on as well when they see how easy the work is. Don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet, but I will have photos when I get her back from the dippers. Thanks for the Bumps guys and I am still here, without a doubt I will make it to the Apple Festival Car show and even down to Canton when I get her done. It will be a nice cross country drive when she is done. I have done the drive before several times and it is really not bad and neat to see the states.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Sorry guys had to save up some money for the Dippers and been busy with work last week I loaded up the cab and took it to the Dipper. So the cab is back fromt the Dippers! I am glad I took it to the Dippers at this point based on all of the rust I had.

All my buddies were telling me to ----Just DA it and shoot it with some Primer----Yeah ----it does not look bad----yeah really clean!!!

_DSC0025 by am-bear, on Flickr

Man is the roof going to stay on??

Dipped Crew 010 by am-bear, on Flickr

Cab Corners are in GREAT SHAPE!!!

Dipped Crew 008 by am-bear, on Flickr

Front floor Pans will be replaced!! Rear is SOLID!! JAMBS ARE SOLID!!

_DSC0028 by am-bear, on Flickr

Dipped Crew 007 by am-bear, on Flickr

Dipped Crew 030 by am-bear, on Flickr

I decided to take it to a new body shop that has done some small work for me in the past to have them DA the whole thing WIPE it down and then shoot some primer on it to keep it from flash rusting.

YES the dipper says it was Dipped after to RINSE everything and the last VAT has a Rust Coating in it ----so it sat in the Paint cleaning solution for a day---pressure washed ----then in a VAT with a rinse Rust Killing solution for a day but WHO really knows?

I decided to DA it WIPE it and PRIME it----better safe than sorry.

Dipped Crew 029 by am-bear, on Flickr

Actually the rust on the Roof line is all exterior except in a few tiny pinholes that worked their way to the inside jambs so I am going to just burn the Drip edges and put new metal in so it is not as bad as it looks.

Dipped Crew 027 by am-bear, on Flickr

Dipped Crew 021 by am-bear, on Flickr

I had leaves collected in the area in the left fron corner to the left of the CAB MOUNTS that rusted through but not on the right---easy fix and the CAB MOUNTS are SOLID!!

Dipped Crew 018 by am-bear, on Flickr

Dipped Crew 031 by am-bear, on Flickr

So after looking at the whole picture I would say I am very happy with the Dipping process so far and will not know a final result until a few years down the line after everything is done----my experience at this point tells me I had more rust than I knew about and based on my past experiences this crap would have been back with a vengance if I had just DA it and cut and patched without seeing what I really had.

Anyways I am in no hurry and have to do this thing is stages as the money comes in and I want to do it once---AFTER I have changed my mind so many times about what I want to do this will work just fine.

Super excited at this point to get her back--lots of body mods on the way---going to be fun to see everyones reaction to some of them. I keep changing my mind after some of the people here give me ideas with their projects!!!!