Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
wcm473ciford

Light wiring problems

Post by wcm473ciford »

I have a 1967 ford pickup and I just found out
that the turn signals , front and rear and the brake lights
have stopped working . I dont have a manual yet but plan
to try to locate one . Anyone have an idea where I should
start looking for the problem , any help is appreciated .
Bill
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

try the fuses first. then check the bulbs. And eventualy the wiring.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Light wiring problems

Post by FORDification »

The common element here is the turn signal switch....all the functions you mentioned are wired into it, and if it goes out, they all go out.

If you need wiring diagrams, there's a full set posted at the following URL:

http://www.fordification.com/wiring.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
wcm473ciford

Post by wcm473ciford »

Thanks , I didnt know the brake lights were wired in to the turn signal switch , I already checked the fuse but didnt think all 4 bulbs would go out at once but I'll check those too .
Bill
wcm473ciford

Post by wcm473ciford »

I checked the bulbs and hooked the wires up to another steering cloumn I have that I know the
switch was working in and still nothing . I guess
unless anyone knows of anything else I'll have to
tackle the wiring next . Thanks again .
Bill
wcm473ciford

Post by wcm473ciford »

One more question , could the turn signal flasher cause this problem and if so where is it ? I've looked everywhere that I can think of . Most all
other vehicles I've had it was under the dash close to the steering column or fuse box but I sure cant find it . Thanks
Bill
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

should be one behind the dash. You'll have to pull the pannell out. It clips in behind the dash. but should only effect the turns i think. And I think i had two in my truck.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

wcm473ciford wrote:I checked the bulbs and hooked the wires up to another steering cloumn I have that I know the
switch was working in and still nothing . I guess
unless anyone knows of anything else I'll have to
tackle the wiring next . Thanks again .
Did you have the second column grounded? I don't think the lights would've have worked without a chassis ground.

There should be two flasher units up under the dash...one for the turn signals and the other for the hazard lights. Once clips to the back of the instrument panel, the other should be up under there somewhere. :hmm:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
wcm473ciford

Post by wcm473ciford »

I didnt even think about that , nope it wasnt grounded , I'll try that again . I sure do
appreciate all the help .
Bill
wcm473ciford

Post by wcm473ciford »

I grounded the column , still nothing . I took the
instrument panel out and found the flasher . I
tested it with a circuit tester and there is
continuity from one prong thru the flasher to
the other prong and I'm assuming that means
its ok . Enough for today , I'll probably get into
the wiring tomorrow , Thanks again .
Bill
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Do your dash lights and gauges work? If not, the problem could be your ingition switch.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I know without the key in iether accessories or running position the turn Sigs won't work. You'll Get it.
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

when the headlights go out that could be a stuck dimmer switch. i found a bad wire on my truck under the cab where they run along the frame. i don't know what caused it but i don't think that was a common problem either. its got to be in your wiring though.
1968customcab

Post by 1968customcab »

drop your head down by the tailgate, you'll see a wiring cluster in there. Its for your taillights. Make sure it didn't come apart, if you pull it apart then nothing works. If it is apart just snap it together. If it is together i would go with the turn signal switch,the one in your steering column, if not there then check you emergency flasher switch, if not there then check your emergency flasher. These are all tied in together to create some great maze for anybody wanting to work on them. But i fumbled with my taillights for about 3 days before i got them working.
CHEVY? Constantly Having Everyones Vehicle Yanking one out of the mud. Yup FORD? Found Out Rescuing Dummies driving Chevy's.
hatch_m

Post by hatch_m »

THe other flasher is located ( on mine at least ) just to the left of the ash tray back a little bit. That is what supplies power to your brake switch ( if i remember correctly) Check to make sure it is functioning properly,