Broken Heater Cable

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

DMikeM

Broken Heater Cable

Post by DMikeM »

Hi all.

Well I am new here and can't find any info on reataching the temp control cable to the lever in the dash right under the radio.

The cable came loose years ago but never found a need to fix it, but this week I ordered a new in dash CD/MP3 radio and have removed my old Kraco radio in anticipation. I can see now that the cable has came off the lever but see no way to reatach it. Does anyone have a good PIC of this assembly or a diagram of it?

1970 F250 Ranger Camper special 4x2 390cc
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

:hi: Which end came lose? There is a clip that holds it in place on the heater box end. That may have fallen behind the box.

Visit the "Welcome Mat" New members can show and tell there trucks there. Thanks for joining our group.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
DMikeM

re: Broken Heater Cable

Post by DMikeM »

The in Dash part came off. I have lubed up the valve area at the hose under the hood in hopes that it will help once I find out how to reconnect the other end.
1970 F250 Camper Special 4x2 390cc
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Since a picture's worth a thousand words:

This is a shot of the heater controls from the bottom. The yellow arrows are pointing to the small clips that hold the cable ends on the control levers. The blue arrows point to the cable clamps. If the clamps are in place and are tight, the clips really aren't necessary....unless your cable tends to bind up and bend, in which case it's possible the cable will bend and pop off the control lever.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DMikeM

Post by DMikeM »

Thanks FORDification, but my troubles are on the other side, flip over the unit.
I asked around and my boss says there is a hole the cable feeds through and that the cable has a sort of elongnated Z shape to it that holds it in place.
During lunch I peaked into the radio opening and think I did indeed see a small hole in the lever end. The dust must have been covering it up last time I looked.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Oops, I guess you DID say the temp control cable....that would be on the top. :oops: Your boss is correct, the end of the cable has a Z shape to it and just inserts into a hole, but that cable also has a clamp on it like the bottom cables do. If the clamp is missing, or the cable is binding inside the shield, which cause it to bend/flex on the end, then you'll have problems....and it might even have broken off. Can you tell if your cable has that Z shape till intact?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DMikeM

Post by DMikeM »

I fiddled with it a little after work and can see there is only a hole and the cable, but the cable has been bent at a right angle and I can not get it straight enough to make it work. So now it is time to call Napa Auto and see if they can get me a new cable.