Summit just lot my future business...

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Summit just lot my future business...

Post by dustman_stx »

For reference, I purchased literally thousands of dollars in parts from Summit the past few years. After a grand total of 1 hour on the phone, mostly on hold today, I was told they wouldn't price match a competitor. It was 4wheelonline.com for Rancho shocks. This after I read several online accounts of them already price matching AND giving a coupon for $20 off next purchase to people. They have price matched online retailers in the past for me. I was NOT happy and they won't be getting my business in the future. Really sad, as I would have recommended them highly before this- after all, I was attempting to give them the business instead of ordering from someone else.

Rant over.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Summit just lot my future business...

Post by BobbyFord »

Wow, I've never had anything but good times dealing with Summit. I've bought thousands of dollars in parts from them also. The fact that they get stuff to my door two days makes it worth doing business with them.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

:yt:

There's more to buying stuff than the price to me. Often times the up front price really isn't that important for a lot of the supplies and parts I buy. The service, support and delivery times are the deal breakers.

I buy some parts from Summit and never have any issues. The parts get here quick, the prices are fair and if there's a problem they call me and are always fair to deal with. For example- I ordered several Derale electric fan kits from them online a few months back and they called right away to tell me they made a mistake and those kits were no longer available. The equivelent new model from Derale was pretty much the same thing, but $20 more. They offered to ship for free next day if I paid the extra cost which I thought was more than fair.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

:yt:

Ummm, OK.

Just out of curiosity, what reason did they give for not price matching?

I've also bought thousands from them, in fact I've bought thousands on a single order... :wink: and they have never been anything but great to deal with for me. They will take stuff back with almost no questions asked and quickly credit your account.

I've never ordered from "4wheelonline.com" but how long will it take you to get them, what if you need someone on the phone, will they be Genuine Rancho shocks when you get them (they don't appear to be listed as an online retailer on http://www.gorancho.com/online_dealers.php)

Folks it isn't all about price everytime...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

I would have made all of the same arguments you guys are making....yesterday. I've always had exceptional service from Summit. I did a lot of research on these shocks and ran across lots of guys that have ordered from 4wheelonline and also several that said Summit had price matched with them. Summit has price matched with online retailers for me in the past. If their policy is to price match, then they should price match. They didn't give me a reason that they wouldn't match. They actually had the audacity to try to use the $100 mail in rebate as a form of price matching. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! They went to the site and went through the process of seeking their price. I think they just didn't want to sell them as cheap and decided to lose a customer. As far as not being real Ranchos from 4wheelonline- if these were Jordans or Pradas, I'd buy it, but really- look alike shocks???? I think it would have turned up through my many searches if they were selling knock-offs at 4wheelonline.com. Lots of guys seem to be using them. Will I get them as soon? Maybe not. I guess if I was willing to pay an extra $77 and shipping I could have them a few days sooner.
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

Just took a look at Rockauto and they are $50 less for the set than Summit, and they ARE listed as an official retailer. BTW, just because a retailer isn't listed on the manufacturers site doesn't mean they sell illegitimate merchandise. Many retailers buy from wholesale distributors rather than direct from manufacturers, meaning they aren't listed as "official retailers".
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

They have a "best price guarantee", it is linked at the bottom of their page.

I would e-mail or call back and politely ask why exactly it doesn't apply in this case.

(my guess is not in stock)

And for clarity sake, are you saying they offered you a $100.00 MIR that the other place (that is $77.00 cheaper) doesn't have?
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

No the manu rebate applies at both. They wanted to say that at their price, 400, minus the 100 rebate, put them at 300, which is less than the 327 from the other guys. I get the 100 rebate off of the 327 from 4wheel. I have done some more searches and it seems this 4wheelonline company is horrible. Wishing I'd spent the extra $23 plus shipping and ordered from RockAuto. Still doesn't excuse Summit from not honoring their policy.
Bob
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bob »

Appreciate the heads up. Now I can dump my Summit stock before the bottom falls out. (humor)

Maybe you got a new sales rep that isn't on top of their game?

Or like was mentioned... if the place wasn't listed as a dealer for those type of shocks they were concerned that maybe they would be price matching a fake shock or a shock priced for a loss and just to move out old inventory? A listed distributor can't undersell the product but a non-distributor can sell for whatever they want. Maybe the four wheel place's price was including the mail in rebate? Could it be that it was 77 dollars more than before rebate? If that were the case then you will spend 23 dollars more at the other place.

Regardless... it's your money and you can spend it wherever you'd like. I live close enough to run over to Ohio and grab what I need but I usually order and it's always here the next day if it's something in stock. That's worth a few bucks in my book. I'm usually in a hurry for some reason and the gas I burn going there is more $$ than shipping. Is fun to check everything out though.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I realize that not being listed as a retailer does not necessarily mean they are not legitimate, but I am always suspicious when you cannot verify someone is an authorized dealer, and sometimes manufacturers will decline warranty if it is not bought from an authorized dealer.

There was a recent post on another board I am on about how horrible RockAuto's CS service is too (never ordered from them).

I certainly agree Summit should either honor their policy or tell you why it does not apply, and it is certainly your right to be upset and to take your business else where if you see fit, I do usually try to make these sorts of decisions in the cold light of morning rather than while I am still so mad I cannot see straight. :wink:
Robert

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I don't see any reason to not give them your business in the future, especially if they spent as much time as they did to try and price match these shocks.

I don't think they 'blew you off' or wanted to lose a customer. I feel the deal just didn't make good business sense to them (sell at a loss) and as such probably didn't qualify as a legitimate sale (for either company to make a profit) for them to price match.

Heck, take advantage of the 4wheeleronline offer, get some shocks for less than they buy and report back.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I bought a $700+ set of headers from them once. When it arrived at my house I saw that the original box had been opened and re-taped. There were pieces missing. I emailed them and then a little later phoned them because at the time I hadn't received an email reply. The girl on the customer service line informed me that a second pair of headers was already on the way to me via overnight mail. She instructed me to use the enclosed mailing label to ship the compromised set of headers back to Reno. I had $1500 worth of exhaust at my house and they trusted my integrity to send the other set back to them. I'm a Summit Racing fan for life. I ordered a set of Wheel Vintiques steelies from them. Some of them came from Reno, some came from Ohio; both arrived at my house on the same day.
I shop with Summit because they offer quality products at competitive prices while, in my opinion, providing unparalleled customer service.
Don't let one small incident negate years of (admitted) quality, professional service. :2cents:
1970 Hi-Boy
Preferred User
Preferred User
Location: Middle Tenessee/Northern Wisconsin/wherever else I may roam to try and make a buck.

Post by 1970 Hi-Boy »

Still like Summit, they've been more than square dealing with me.
1970 F250 Sport Custom 4x4 360 V8, otherwise known as the Hi Boy, and a Harley-Davidson.

1953 Lincoln SA200 portable welder with a 4 cylinder 1941 Continental F162 engine.

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

Look. As I already stated, I can sit here and write good things about Summit all day too. I've already made that clear. That still doesn't change the fact that they refused to honor their policy. And they did price match 4wheelonline.com for other people. If they price matched for others they should have for me. Period. No number of testimonials will change that. The rep I was speaking with said he had already spoken with a supervisor and the best they could do was offer the manufacturer rebate. As to the comment about the rebate already being applied- it doesn't work that way. Manufacturers rebates apply only to the end consumer- typically limited to 1 per household. Plus, this company has Rancho materials all over their website. I would think Rancho would have done something about it if they were selling illegitimate merchandise and using all of their advertising material to do it with. I have read other accounts already of buyers dealing with 4wheelonline.com and claiming the rebate.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Since we are being frank, I do not really believe they refused to honor their policy and didn't give a reason. Perhaps the reason got lost in the conversation or wasn't made completely clear but they have a policy and if they won't honor the policy there is a reason. Perhaps something changed since they did price match that vendor.

If you want to discontinue doing business with a reputable vendor that has given you good service and do business with a "company is horrible" over $77.00 that is your prerogative but it seems a little like shooting yourself in the foot to me.
Robert